930 Case battery question

Help Support CattleToday:

Cayenne

Reaction score
I have a 930 Case, the batteries went dead from sitting over the winter. I pulled them out and charged them and they showed to have taken a charge. When I installed them I have 12 volts at the starter but when I hit the key it drops to 2 volts at the starter. Currently it has two 6 volt batteries in it and since I need to replace them anyway I want to go back with 12 volts batteries like I have in my Duramax. I haven't had much luck finding out how to do this, if someone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Cayenne":1tcuv1fc said:
I have a 930 Case, the batteries went dead from sitting over the winter. I pulled them out and charged them and they showed to have taken a charge. When I installed them I have 12 volts at the starter but when I hit the key it drops to 2 volts at the starter. Currently it has two 6 volt batteries in it and since I need to replace them anyway I want to go back with 12 volts batteries like I have in my Duramax. I haven't had much luck finding out how to do this, if someone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

:???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

you should have about 13V on the batteries, so I'm pretty sure they're dead... probably 1 cell is toast.

As for converting from dual 6V to 12V, you have the "linking" wire that goes from the positive of one 6V to the negative of the other 6V, just get rid of that wire, and put the new 12V battery in...

I'll try some artwork for you, lets see how it looks, periods are just there to make things line up

6V setup...
Ground....... Bat1 ....... Bat2 ........ Starter +
..O---------(-)-6V-(+)---(-)-6V-(+)---------O

single 12V
Ground ............ Battery ............ Starter +
.. O---------------(-) 12V (+)-------------O

Dual 12V
Ground ................ Bat 1 .............. Starter +
..O----------------(-)---- 12V ---(+)------------O
.....................|...............|
.....................|....Bat 2.....|
....................(-)---- 12V ---(+)

Hope that helps and it shows up right and you can figure it out

Cayenne":21es6faz said:

What your saying is 2 6 volts ran in series = 12 volts. If the tractor is set up for 12 volts just put a 12 volt battery in it or better yet 2- 12 volt batteries and run them parallel

M5farm":ytgz87g5 said:
Cayenne":ytgz87g5 said:

What your saying is 2 6 volts ran in series = 12 volts. If the tractor is set up for 12 volts just put a 12 volt battery in it or better yet 2- 12 volt batteries and run them parallel

In other words how my JD 2510 3020 AND 4020 are

bbirder":3jyyrloy said:
Hooking up two 12v parallel will increase your cranking power. Check this video.

http://youtu.be/dZzinsfI2Y0

Parallel will not increase voltage but will double the output. Most tractors are wired this way and a lot of diesel trucks.

golf carts are series so that the 6 batteries create 36 or 48 volts

if you need to run it in cold weather a lot and it's hard to cold start, dual 12V is probably the way to go, if you use it mostly in the summer, 1 should do well enough... I run a single battery in my cummins diesel truck and it starts fine at -20C with one battery and without plugging it in either

I don't use it much in the winter and it is the easiest starting tractor I have ever run. So I should be good by just hooking up 1 12 volt and leave the other side alone? The passenger side battery positive cable runs straight to the starter.

in that case I'd put the single 12V battery on the passenger side, and perhaps make a new ground cable up for it, unless you can reroute the old one from the other side to make it work... you should be fine :)

Nesikep":3s1eay2f said:
in that case I'd put the single 12V battery on the passenger side, and perhaps make a new ground cable up for it, unless you can reroute the old one from the other side to make it work... you should be fine :)

Ok, I will try that today and see how it works.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Nesikep":2sonuxs8 said:
you should have about 13V on the batteries, so I'm pretty sure they're dead... probably 1 cell is toast.

As for converting from dual 6V to 12V, you have the "linking" wire that goes from the positive of one 6V to the negative of the other 6V, just get rid of that wire, and put the new 12V battery in...

I'll try some artwork for you, lets see how it looks, periods are just there to make things line up

6V setup...
Ground....... Bat1 ....... Bat2 ........ Starter +
..O---------(-)-6V-(+)---(-)-6V-(+)---------O

single 12V
Ground ............ Battery ............ Starter +
.. O---------------(-) 12V (+)-------------O

Dual 12V
Ground ................ Bat 1 .............. Starter +
..O----------------(-)---- 12V ---(+)------------O
.....................|...............|
.....................|....Bat 2.....|
....................(-)---- 12V ---(+)

Hope that helps and it shows up right and you can figure it out

Just to double check before I blow something up, to run dual 12 volt batteries I would hook positive to positive and ground to ground, then from the ground on batt one to the tractor frame ground stud and from the positive on batt one to the starter?