900 lb bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree with everyone here. I think he will do exactly what you want him to do and do great at it. He will fill out and grow throughout the summer. He has some negatives and positives but he is young so he could grow out of some of those negatives. You said it yourself....you get what you pay for but he will be a fine fill in for you. He's only breeding 8 cows that still haven't had their calf right? You have some time then to find the actual replacement you want. Good luck!

I just quickly searched simangus to find a similar bull, but with more masculinity.

builttough.jpg

Now even this isn't the finest example, but look at how much more 'bullish' he looks. His bones are thicker, his neck, he's long and square. He looks like he will grow into the job.

It's really no different than people when you consider the attitude they give off, this bull looks like a guy - he might be into football, drinking beer and swinging a hammer for a living. Your bull... well he might like cake decorating and dancing shows. He probably still likes girls though, or atleast pretends to.

That bull is full of feed and steroids. He won't hold up till he reaches 3-4 years old around here. But most bulls will do the same thing. A young bull pushed on feed will always look better than a pasture raised bull. But eye appeal is the game changer. Some of you guys must not sell calves to neighbors and see what your pasture raised bull looks like in 3 years. We do and they look good after they mature Folks that produce good bulls, are good nutritionist also.

Where do you get that? That bull doesn't appear pushed hard at all. You can get a bull looking like that fairly easily. Judging by his face I'd say he has a bit of age on him, and is actually behind in size compared to what one is used to seeing. And I picked him for just that reason, to not compare him to a butterball bull that would be too much of a comparison.

So with your reasoning you should use a bull that looks like sh*t, cause he'll still look like sh*t in 3-4 yrs? And therefore is more consistent.

Big Cheese yes I had a purebred yearling bull that I paid top dollar for and he turned out to be a fence jumper , Sold by the pound Tuesday when I bought the 900lb bull . fencejumper will have had most everything bred up till this week , but the 8 remaining cows that haven't calved . I calf year around so he will have time to grow some .

Red Bull Breeder that would be in my opinion worst case scenario , I can agree with 3way and the others he's no gem but hope he's close to a year old so he will continue to gain like one at that age should

You have a lot of time to find the actual bull you want then. If it was me and I know y'all are going to frown on this lol but I would keep him until those other 15 cows get ready to calve and if you think he looks good enough by then maybe keep him. He will grow a lot this summer and we probably won't notice him if you post another picture of him 4 months from now. But when you sell him I think you will have no problem getting your money back and some. We calve year round as well so you should be fine in my opinion.

I think he is around 14-18 months old...probably 16 months. He looks about the size body wise of some of our beef heifers we have in our heifer pen and they are 14 months old.

Red Bull Breeder":2f3grizo said:
You can bet the farm that he is a year old. I would hazard a guess that he is closer to two than one.

I'm not in this dog fight, but I thought the same thing about his age. Look at the size of his lower sheath. It is extremely developed for a yearling bull that has not been breeding.

Fire Sweep Ranch":5bu5wq1s said:
Red Bull Breeder":5bu5wq1s said:
You can bet the farm that he is a year old. I would hazard a guess that he is closer to two than one.

I'm not in this dog fight, but I thought the same thing about his age. Look at the size of his lower sheath. It is extremely developed for a yearling bull that has not been breeding.
I just noticed something that I had missed. Look at the length of his tail. Usually the tail hits about to the hock around a year old. (Does not count in fitted cattle who have had their tail cut or cattle that catch it on things. But can be a hint sometimes as to age) I definitely believe Bobby's bull is well over a year old now.

branguscowgirl":wpqhp9dg said:
I just noticed something that I had missed. Look at the length of his tail. Usually the tail hits about to the hock around a year old. I definitely believe Bobby's bull is well over a year old now.

I was thinking along similar lines, looking at the switch as well as his feet. I think he's at least a year old.

Regardless -------- at this point all BobbyLummis needs him to do is to breed 8 cows. I believe that this bull is "big" enough to do that (in answer to his original question). As long as he can reach them, he will get breed them, and if he is producing viable, motile sperm, then the cows should get pregnant.

Workinonit Farm":3vxlhs0f said:
branguscowgirl":3vxlhs0f said:
I just noticed something that I had missed. Look at the length of his tail. Usually the tail hits about to the hock around a year old. I definitely believe Bobby's bull is well over a year old now.

I was thinking along similar lines, looking at the switch as well as his feet. I think he's at least a year old.

Regardless -------- at this point all BobbyLummis needs him to do is to breed 8 cows. I believe that this bull is "big" enough to do that (in answer to his original question). As long as he can reach them, he will get breed them, and if he is producing viable, motile sperm, then the cows should get pregnant.
Good bye pounds :frowns:

Muddy he'll be fine. I don't think he will lose as many pounds as you would think. That bull is young and will fill out a lot. Bobby I hope you can share a pic of him in about 4 months so we can see how he has grown. Then everyone can really critique him and see what we all think about how the calves will turn out.

He's breeding 8 cows for goodness sake. He's not going to ruin someones registered herd of cattle. I expect he will grow, and put on some weight. If bull calves can breed a cow, the guy should be able to also.

Supa Dexta":2k8tx82f said:
I just quickly searched simangus to find a similar bull, but with more masculinity.

builttough.jpg

Now even this isn't the finest example, but look at how much more 'bullish' he looks. His bones are thicker, his neck, he's long and square. He looks like he will grow into the job.

It's really no different than people when you consider the attitude they give off, this bull looks like a guy - he might be into football, drinking beer and swinging a hammer for a living. Your bull... well he might like cake decorating and dancing shows. He probably still likes girls though, or atleast pretends to.
Just wondering what the age is on that one?

NM--I found it.
DR Built Tough 16T
REG#: 2385404 DOB: 02-27-2007

Big Cheese":2bquu5xy said:
Muddy he'll be fine. I don't think he will lose as many pounds as you would think. That bull is young and will fill out a lot. Bobby I hope you can share a pic of him in about 4 months so we can see how he has grown. Then everyone can really critique him and see what we all think about how the calves will turn out.
what I really meant no pounds in calves lol my bad. Some bulls seem they can pass their slow growth to their calves...but then again small calves got sold at over $3 per lbs currently.

Latest posts