9 Turks a'turkin

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Picture3787.jpg

Thought about posting this last Thursday but figured you all call me a liar.It was 9:00 in the am and heard turkeys talking a little so I started calling with my mouth only and had 2 double gobbling back at me for probably 20 min.Now that might not mean much to you all down south but that was the first time i'd ever heard a bird gobble in Feb other than shock gobble while yote calling.

i believe it rusty. these 9 were very curious. i made a turkey noise and they got all excited.

When does season come in in Georgia? Here it's the end of April and by then they will probably shut down like most years.

March 21 - May 15 is our season. Up until last week they have all but disappeared. Travelling in big flocks but now it seems they are breaking up some and sightings are getting more common. Earlier this week I saw one strutting in a hay field so it looks like they are getting active.

I figured with your alls weather down the toms would already be busting out of bachelor groups.Course if they are already strutting and your season doesn't come in till March 24 they will probably be about shut down for you all too won't they?I remember back in the late 80's when they first started spring it was good timing now with the late season and yotes it's awlful hard to hunt them.Birds don't talk you can't set up on them when the do gobble they stay on roost and shut up when they fly down.People say yotes come in on them when they talk alot on the ground i've had a few come in while calling.Guess if I don't do any good there is always butterball.

I don't think the one bird was a good indication of what the season will be like. They will do that. Probably just a youngster strutting his stuff as the flocks I've seen are still pretty well bunched together. What few birds I've seen have been in flocks of about 40 or so. But last week I've seen more flocks but smaller in size about 20 or so. So I think they are spreading out some and migrating back to their nesting grounds.

Latest posts