9 day countdown...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lady.
You will be an admired respected DVM. Up until last couple month only lurking on these boards, I thought You were a graduate experienced DVM. My dream upon graduation '75 was mixed or large animal practice. Things change and altered my career path. You appear to have it together and going, so the best to You in this world. You're expertise, and ability to relate to people says You have a bright future.
Congratulations
Wilson Lamar Parmer
Auburn 1975

Congratulations!!! Wish you were in our area, would be glad to have you as our vet.

Any idea where you are going to practice?

Thanks all!

I'll be in southern Idaho, staff veterinarian for a really large calf ranch and dairy. I'm pretty excited about it.

Very cool! Hope you still have time to check in here from time to time. As a newbie facing our first calving season 2 years ago, I found your pics and posts on calving to be very helpful, and kept me from getting too nervous! Congrats and best wishes from upstate NY!

milkmaid":1g2f3dot said:
Thanks all!

I'll be in southern Idaho, staff veterinarian for a really large calf ranch and dairy. I'm pretty excited about it.

That sounds great. A whole lot better than the prospective job you told me about when we were in Ridgefield. And beings as it is a dairy we can continue calling you MilkMaid.

It will be a thousand times better on every level Dave, I'd just anticipated and prepared for that feedlot so long that it was almost a little difficult to convince myself to take this job. LOL. But a calf ranch is similar to a feedlot, just a different age group of cattle, and they have so much variety in terms of disease and cattle management. I was pretty well sold on it when they said "we want to pay you for your brains, not your brawn," and that the "current staff veterinarian is an incredible asset and one of my top 20 guys." (Quick edit - I don't mean to make it sound like I'm not excited about this job, lol - I really am looking forward to it and think it's a pretty amazing opportunity.)

I didn't see myself ending up back in dairy, but yes - MM will still be appropriate apparently. :lol:

It was good to meet you by the way - glad that worked out!

milkmaid":1pyaqj1b said:
If I'm being honest with myself, it will be a thousand times better on every level Dave, I'd just anticipated and prepared for that feedlot so long that it was almost a little difficult to convince myself to take this job. LOL. But a calf ranch is similar to a feedlot, just a different age group of cattle, and they have so much variety in terms of disease and cattle management. I was pretty well sold on it when they said "we want to pay you for your brains, not your brawn," and that the "current staff veterinarian is an incredible asset and one of my top 20 guys."

I didn't see myself ending up back in dairy, but yes - MM will still be appropriate apparently. :lol:

It was good to meet you by the way - glad that worked out!

I was more than happy to play a very small part in that working out for you. I received a very nice email from Dee Dee the day after you left down there. And I am happy that I was able to meet you too. The way I cruise the west at times maybe one day I will stop in Southern Idaho to see how a calf ranch operates.

I really enjoyed staying with Dee Dee and appreciate you putting us in touch. And yes, definitely feel free to drop in Dave!

milkmaid":21g4ak3f said:
Thanks all!

Glad to hear you got something and hope that is a area of the country you wanted to be in.

If I may ask what is a "calf ranch"?

It's a place where they raise dairy calves from day-olds to 350lbs, or 500lbs, and then send them back to the dairy they came from. Some dairies raise their own replacements - the ones that don't, either sell them initially or have a calf ranch contracted to raise them. Some calf ranches also have their own calves, or keep some up through springers (just prior to calving). So lots of variety and lots of different diseases and management concerns when you're talking about that extensive an age range.

Congratulations! What an exciting time. It must feel wonderful to have all those years of hard work and sacrifice bear fruit. Hopefully you don't have a mountain of student loans.

Latest posts