86 F250 Diesel Road Gear Mod

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I purchased this truck at a ranch dispersal. Lots of new trucks at the auction so I guess no one else needed a ranch truck. It runs great, and since it came out of SD the body is decent. :D The owner had replaced the factory AT with the hi/low range 4 spd manual and the heavy duty clutch.

My only issue is getting it down the highway. It cruises in 4th at about 45 mph, and it really wound up at 55 mph. :( Any tips on the lowest cost way to a gearing change?

2wd or 4wd? When you say 4sp with hi/lo are you referring to the transfer case or something else? I've got an 86 350 with the 6.9 and 4.10s, about 60 is all it wants to do on interstate. I've gotten the finger more than once.

You'll have to change the ring and pinions or get something similar to a gear vendors overdrive unit. The latter is worth more than your truck.

cfpinz

You could change the transmission to a 5 speed with overdrive. If it is a 2 WD you could change the ring and pinion ratio in the rear end and put larger diameter tires on the rear.

KenB":19og25co said:
You could change the transmission to a 5 speed with overdrive. If it is a 2 WD you could change the ring and pinion ratio in the rear end and put larger diameter tires on the rear.

I've given some thought to putting a 5sp in mine a couple times, but don't really like the gear ratios in them, 1st is too fast for a 6.9. Unless you can find a cheap donor truck to rob all the parts from you're lible to wind up with more in the swap than the truck's worth. But an overdrive sure would be nice.

cfpinz

KenB":25lq7sag said:

It's a 4 WD, and it has more power than I need. I haul calves and pull mid sized gravity boxes.

Answer a few questions first.

What make and model is the truck?

Does it have a two speed axle or a overdrive/underdrive unit (NOT a transfer case!) somewhere between the differential and tranny?

Is the engine a diesel or gas?

Stocker Steve":3m888pqb said:
KenB":3m888pqb said:

It's a 4 WD, and it has more power than I need. I haul calves and pull mid sized gravity boxes.

You can swap out the gears in both diffs for 3.55s or what suits you. Sounds like you got 4.10s or better. Plan on $500 per axle. Or swap in the 5sp if you can find a donor. Not a fan of bigger tires. Personally, I'd just leave the truck alone and leave home a little bit earlier.

cfpinz

Latest posts