850 lb fertlized bermuda 8 x 3 x 3 squares.

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm currently charging $3.10 per loaded mile or $2.25 per loaded mile plus a 38% Fuel surcharge. In order for me to get 60 8x3x3 squares on a single load I will need to purchase oversized load permits for each state I'm traveling thru so I will need to charge for those expenses also and that price varies from state to state and load to load. I could only get 54 bales ( 6 rows of 9 lengthways )on my 48 foot trailers and my 53 foot trailers you could get 63 bales ( 7 rows of 9 lengthways) with 3 feet hanging of the back. That is not something I would want to do so really I would only put 60 bales ( 6 rows of 9 lengthways and 2 rows of 3 crossways) on those trailers. That I just to give you an idea what it can cost to have it hauled. I have in my lifetime on one occasion hauled an oversized hay load without oversized load permits but that was because the state of South Dakota had declared some type of drought emergency and by doing so eased the regulations of commercial vehicle operation relating to the hauling of hay. We could run at night and without permits. That hay still cost a mind blowing amount of money per ton the problem was there was no hay in those areas and trucking it in from areas not in a drought adds dollars to hay price fast and it soon becomes to expensive to buy.

Do you have any idea what roads I might be on? The route requested with a 9 foot wide load usually doesn't change the price but they will still ask me the route I plan to take before giving me a quote. I will also need to give origination and final destination of load.

That is ok somn dont go to all of that trouble. I was just tring to get a rough idea of what it cost to ship a load of 8 x 3 x 3 bails.

And if i understand you right. It is about $310 per hundred miles plus the cost of the permits ? And that is say a load of 60 bails ? That price seems with in reason to me. So on a 300 mile trip we are looking a ruffly at $ 1000 shipping ? That is going from Arkansas to Texas. The route of travel would probably be I-40 to Little Rock and from there I-30 on to Texas.

So if that guy is selling the hay for $80 a bail and does not have to ship it futher than 300 miles(which that should be somewhere colse) after paying about $1000 for shipping. He is making about $1400 profit a trip. And they are moving 1 to 2 loads a day. So i would say someone is making alot more money in selling hay than can be made in selling cattle ?

Am i over looking something ? Does thoes figure's seem right ? Is that taking advantage of people or is that a fair deal ? I would not think it was a fair shake.

It has been so long since I have hauled an oversized load thru those states I just don't want to give you a figure it could be so far from the right amount. That $3.10 per mile makes all the payments except the overweight permit the rest of that money is profit. I'm curious myself tomorrow I will submit an online app for an oversized load thru those states just to see what it does cost. If you had two big enough tractors with loaders on them to smash the bales together from both sides you might be able to get by without an oversized permit. Six inches can be smashed easily enough. However I have been the unlucky person to have been the first truck thru the scale after a shift change and I get the guy who's wife really made him mad before he left for work. I hate taking chances. Not having them always costs more than buying the stupid things in the first place.

Except for round bales on state highways, you won't get a permit in Texas for a divisible load.

Just bought three large round bales for $75.00 each here in south west Texas. Horse quality coastal is $110.00 per round bale. Either pay or sell your stock. :mad: Wish I had A rig to haul hay.

Texan,

Does that mean they can not get a permit to haul these big 8 x 3 x 3 squares ? If so i dont know how they are getting by with hauling these because it is leaving out of here everyday.

I just wonder if maybe alot of the people who are paying these big prices for hay might not of had drought insurance. If they did they are probably doing better than if they had their own hay to begin with. Because the insurance would probably pay for all of their hay. And they would not be out anything. All of this sure has me curious.

I was mistaken about one of the guys here that was selling poor quality hay and a hay broker turning arround and reselling it in Texas for $65 a bail. The hay broker his self is paying $65 a bail for it here and resaleing it in Texas. If he is paying $65 a bail here for it. I would be afraid to guess how much he is resaleing it for.

No problem! I'm not sure if the overweight permits are in addition to the regular trip permits or if they take the place of the regular trip permits. Having some limited experience with DOT, I sorta suspect they are in addition to.

Stepper":3qsunbhe said:
Texan,

Does that mean they can not get a permit to haul these big 8 x 3 x 3 squares ? If so i dont know how they are getting by with hauling these because it is leaving out of here everyday.
You don't need a permit. But you can't legally haul them nine feet wide since you can load them differently to make it legal. That's called a divisible load--because you can divide the load to make it legal.

Stepper
They told me for Texas it is $60.00 for 30 days and $120.00 for 90 days. That is for a overdimension permit used multiple trips. Arkansas it costs $12 for each overdimension permit and they are single trip permits. So the additional cost for permits is very small. I'm just guessing on the weight of the bales at 850 lbs and I'm not sure what you tare weight is either so just keep that in mind. 60 might be to many.

Latest posts