.85¢ an hour

Help Support CattleToday:

The Twin Mountain Fence company he spoke of is still there in San Angelo. Named for the Twin Buttes, which is the same name Twin Buttes Reservoir is named after. It (the post yard) caught fire while I was living in San Angelo. Main rail line runs along side it and a spark from a passing train caused a brush fire which spread to the post yard. Wasn't the 1st time either.

The drone footage in the video shows about the greenest terrain I ever saw around Llano.

$.85 doesn't sound like much but...
$1 in 1935 (when Buchanan Dam was about 1/2 complete) had the same purchasing power as $20 today.

That family appears to have had a good life, tho when he stated he had a 'good marriage', I thought I saw his wife cut him some eyes....

:unsure:

All during the 1930s, Civilian Conservation Corps workers got $30/month, which the majority of went directly to their families back home. The workers could keep a maximum of $5.

In 1968 I made $1.25 an hour cleaning chicken houses with a scoop shovel and wheel barrow.

Dad said in the late 30's they were the richest family in the valley. Grandpa was working piece work bucking old growth timber with a cross cut saw. Bringing home $100-110 a month.

Latest posts