848 N/H roller problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Mat Man

Reaction score
I have a N/H 848 hay roller.It has air bags and no floor chains.I run 35 lbs air in the bags.The problem is it will break a bar about every 30 or 40 rolls.It done this last year and this spring.I ran about 50 rolls through it this weekend and broke 1 bar.I fill like it is a bearing gone down somewhere but none seem to be heating up.Every bar that breaks is about 2 or 3 inchs from center where the rubber rollers touch.It may be old that breaks or maybe a brand new bar.I would realy apprecate any suggestions anyone might have.It starting to get expensive.

Matman; Check the rubbers in the idlers in the tailgate.....could be wore & cutting your bars. Is the chain running in time on both sides?? I've had them jump a link or two. We run tens of thousands bales through an 855 and the only time we broke bars were where they had dents (stones). Check your baler manual...35 psi isn't much air; we always ran at 50-55 lbs. If your chain is running slack that will let it jump & run hard....puts a lot of torque on the bars when that happens. As well more pressure makes for a tighter bale. That series of balers were tough dependable machines and would handle crappy conditions that would just plug a belt baler!

The manual says max air is 40lbs.Every thing cks to be aligned and in time best I can tell.The bars break 2in. from where the rubber rolls touch the bars. Thanks for the reply.I will keep looking.

Latest posts