800# Wild Boar in OK

Help Support CattleToday:

I alway's have a Colt Pony stuffed in my belt when going bow hunting or filling feeders. I have seen them guard a feeder or food plot. Walked up on a big boar one time he didn't run stood his ground, I just backed out as I was only toting my pocketknife. After it happen again I started packing at all times in the woods. The infusion of Russian boar has changed the behavior big time.

Caustic Burno":yo7mrfsh said:
I alway's have a Colt Pony stuffed in my belt when going bow hunting or filling feeders. I have seen them guard a feeder or food plot. Walked up on a big boar one time he didn't run stood his ground, I just backed out as I was only toting my pocketknife. After it happen again I started packing at all times in the woods. The infusion of Russian boar has changed the behavior big time.
Crossing that Russian with them is why they won't bay anymore... You have to be fast to get to the dogs before the hog breaks and runs..

JSCATTLE":17i8rs7d said:
Caustic Burno":17i8rs7d said:
Crossing that Russian with them is why they won't bay anymore... You have to be fast to get to the dogs before the hog breaks and runs..

I disagree. The Russian being bred out is why they won't bay any more. You get a good heavy influenced Russian Boar and you will catch that sucker right where you heard the first bark. The stop and strap it on. Its this domesticated looking junk that runs.

Maybe so but in my area there has been domestic hogs in the woods for 200 years ..people used to run hogs in the woods free range like cows.. they crossed with the rooters ... It seems they stopped baying about 15 years ago and its getting worse .

JSCATTLE":clwj1ubv said:
Maybe so but in my area there has been domestic hogs in the woods for 200 years ..people used to run hogs in the woods free range like cows.. they crossed with the rooters ... It seems they stopped baying about 15 years ago and its getting worse .

Alot of that has to do more with the amount of people hunting them compared to 15yrs ago. Plus the quality of dogs these people are trying to use is rediculous.... they are JUNK. I can catch a hog now and then with my yard dogs... but I am going to catch far more with a good set of bred working dogs.

That is just my opinion. :)

JSCATTLE":8gcvcntg said:

When I was a young boy Dad had a black mouth cur named old Dave. You could bay ever hog in the woods.
We would hit the woods twice a year to work my Grandma's hog's. Dad worked all those hog's with old Dave they would pack up and bay and you could catch every hog. These today are worse than quail for busting and run like a deer.
These ain't your old York's, Landrace, and Duroc hog's running the wood's. They have crossed with Russian boar and are now the plauge.

There's a cetain vet throwing pot bellied pigs over the fence into the "game preserve". Perhaps that is paying off with those russains.

Latest posts