8' or 10' tub?

Help Support CattleToday:

Curious

Reaction score
We're in the process of trying to get our 50 year old cattle facilities safer for our younger generation. We've been looking at tubs and are trying to decide if a 8' 180 degree is big enough? We flagged it out in the lot and it just didn't look very big. Does anyone have experience with both? or one or the other?

Our average cow size is 1350 lbs.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure that's part of it. Just didn't want to get the 8' with solid sides if it looked that small to the cows as well and if that meant having to push them harder to get them into the tub.

But the 8' could mean less room for them to turn around in the tub? All sorts of ideas... just would like someone else's first hand experience before making that choice.
Thanks

Not what your asking, but I will comment. I highly recommend doing some research on a bud box. Much easier to build, and works fantastic.

I have researched it. I do like the concept. However, my main objective is finding something where the young help will not have to be in with the cows.

I built a 10' 180 degree and one that is about 9' but just 90 degrees. Cows probably move better through the smaller tub, but you only want to load about 3 cows at one time. In larger tub we load 5 or 6 cows at a time. Both have worked better than anything we had before. If your help is not used to using a crowding area with solid sides make sure they know not to get in the tub with the cows - there is no way out! I know this sounds like common sense, but when people are used to having to get in with the cows, sometimes it can be a hard habit to break.

Thanks for sharing your experience. We're planning to put a walkway around it so all the boys can see and prod the cows without getting in. I might loose my cool quicker than usual if they get in with the cows after the improvements. :)

Rockgrower":111fniuj said:
I built a 10' 180 degree and one that is about 9' but just 90 degrees. Cows probably move better through the smaller tub, but you only want to load about 3 cows at one time. In larger tub we load 5 or 6 cows at a time. Both have worked better than anything we had before. If your help is not used to using a crowding area with solid sides make sure they know not to get in the tub with the cows - there is no way out! I know this sounds like common sense, but when people are used to having to get in with the cows, sometimes it can be a hard habit to break.

Rockgrower - have you looked at any of the "no corners" tub options where they add another smaller door that swings with the crowd door to minimize the wedge at the end of the swing? Do you think it would b helpful or not?

Mine is 10'. Don't think I would want it any smaller. I don't have solid sides and it doesn't really seem to be an issue. Like mentioned above, it works best loading 4 to 6 cows instead of cramming it full.

I tried a bud box but preferred the tub. It seems much safer to me.

I have looked at the no corner tubs, but do not have any experience with one. In my observations, if you learn to use a tub properly, the corner is not normally a problem. By using it properly I mean, don't over crowd tub, and don't leave cattle standing in the tub... the tub is only for loading the alley, not for holding cattle. Normally the cattle will file right through. However, there are always exceptions and some animals just refuse to cooperate. So at times I'm sure the no corner tub would be helpful. It would be a personal decision as to whether the benefits would be worth the extra expense and complexity.

Rockgrower":3tnps58a said:
I have looked at the no corner tubs, but do not have any experience with one. In my observations, if you learn to use a tub properly, the corner is not normally a problem. By using it properly I mean, don't over crowd tub, and don't leave cattle standing in the tub... the tub is only for loading the alley, not for holding cattle. Normally the cattle will file right through. However, there are always exceptions and some animals just refuse to cooperate. So at times I'm sure the no corner tub would be helpful. It would be a personal decision as to whether the benefits would be worth the extra expense and complexity.

That's the plan. The equipment is ordered so time will tell. Thanks for your input!

Latest posts