8 month old calf won't gain

Help Support CattleToday:

We have a calf, she was an orphan calf. She will be 2 this spring, about the size of a 7 month old calf. She is just starting to gain weight. She is costing about .75 cent to feed and not with the diesel to take to the sale. She may have been a twin and could be infertile. On the other hand our children feed her bottles can't sell her now. Maybe one day but they are young. They understand older cows go to sale but not the baby calf they bottle feed thats still a baby calf. I can't do it, I'd cry a river.

yup, I agree, no hope there, they should be that weight at 1 month
Went out this morning to check on her and she was all but dead. Not sure if it was weather or just being so small. Was up in a stall with plenty to eat, but never seemed to get over the hump of being a runt. Hated to put her down, but couldn't let her suffer.

Went out this morning to check on her and she was all but dead. Not sure if it was weather or just being so small. Was up in a stall with plenty to eat, but never seemed to get over the hump of being a runt. Hated to put her down, but couldn't let her suffer.
That was the right thing to do.

Living on borrowed time..the weather just sped it up ..she was already physically stressed ..

Latest posts