8 month old calf won't gain

Help Support CattleToday:

David Norred

Reaction score
I have a 8 month old brahman- longhorn cross that I purchased when she was 3 months old. Been small since we got her. Looks the same size today as when bought. Seems to have been sick since then as well. I have treated her and so has the vet, but still a runt. Gets grass, hay, and a mixture of 3 way, calf manna , and cotton seed meal. Any suggestions on how to get her up to speed? Kinda new at this so anything helps!

will get a pic today. Has been vet wormed and pour on. Not sure on weight, bought her about 150 lbs, can't imagine she is much more than 175 now. That is what concerns me. I have 5 other calves and they all have grown as they should. Could she just be a runt?

Wow. This place is different and if I want to quote someone to reply, I get "message added to multi-quote". I've never seen that before. What's going on??

Wow. This place is different and if I want to quote someone to reply, I get "message added to multi-quote". I've never seen that before. What's going on??
To quote someone you only have to hit "reply" at the bottom if their post. The quote button is actually for quoting multiple posts at once. Its pretty confusing, but I've seen it on a lot of other forums.

Dinks will always be dinks.
Will take a LONG time to even make freezer beef for your own use.

You got her at 3 months and she's 8 months now. Bottle calf or you grafted her on to something?
5 months is a lot of catching up to do to get her 'up to speed' especially with questionable (unknown) genetics

I have one that is being stubborn, I just started sprinkling some grain on top of the hay I feed. That way she has not choice but to eat it.

I've got a runt now that just won't grow. Angus cross born back in March, probably weighs 300# It's living the good life with the rest of the yearlings on feed. I should take it to the sale but that's no fun. Back to your deal, I've never bought a small sale barn calf that did much. Brahman/longhorn would definitely be a dink.

I have a 8 month old brahman- longhorn cross that I purchased when she was 3 months old. Been small since we got her. Looks the same size today as when bought. Seems to have been sick since then as well. I have treated her and so has the vet, but still a runt. Gets grass, hay, and a mixture of 3 way, calf manna , and cotton seed meal. Any suggestions on how to get her up to speed? Kinda new at this so anything helps!
If you are intent on keeping her then I have a few questions. First, exactly how much does she eat per day? Second, what about the quantity of stool and the consistency? Third, does her rumen ever fill out on the left side or does it always stay indented? Fourth, if you stick your fist into her rumen, can you feel contractions or is it just flaccid?

Latest posts