8 hour haul, any worries?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":1f24plmo said:
My hauling partner says keep the drivers door shut, and you'll get there faster.
That's the only way to go. I know some people can't and or don't want to, but if it's less than the 550 miles I can go on fuel I don't stop. There's been sevarel times I get in the truck at 3am Saturday morning here in Ava and I don't stop until I'm sitting at the Salebarn in crossville TN 515 miles and 8 1/2 hours later, then be out of the truck for a couple hours to buy a load of calves and then head home the same way.

I would be more concerned about getting them adapted to the fescue after you get them home. I have hauled from south Alabama almost to the Florida line with no hauling issues. Just dont overcrowd them.
Where are you in east Tn that you are 2.5 hours from Neyland Stadium. I am in Virginia and im not that far away.

My pastures are a fescue/clover mix, so the clover should help them get adapted a little better. I am in Carter co. If I rember right Kennt you in the Jonesville area?

denvermartinfarms":2v1f6zxd said:
Bigfoot":2v1f6zxd said:
My hauling partner says keep the drivers door shut, and you'll get there faster.
That's the only way to go. I know some people can't and or don't want to, but if it's less than the 550 miles I can go on fuel I don't stop. There's been sevarel times I get in the truck at 3am Saturday morning here in Ava and I don't stop until I'm sitting at the Salebarn in crossville TN 515 miles and 8 1/2 hours later, then be out of the truck for a couple hours to buy a load of calves and then head home the same way.

I can't do that so much any more. It seems with age you get to stop and use the rest room more often then the truck runs out of fuel. I stop about every two hours. Use the rest room, walk around for literally a minute or maybe two, and back into the truck. This summer I made the 610 mile drive to Winnemucca in 10 hour and 15 minutes. Map quest says it takes 10 hr 45 min. But I may have driven over the speed limit a few times out on the high dessert.

denvermartinfarms":xome2qbh said:
Bigfoot":xome2qbh said:

I used to think that, too. And it prob'ly is best for the cattle - not for the driver, though. I had a good friend that had a heart attack and died awhile back. He had just gotten home (SW OK) from Mississippi, driving straight through - he had a big diesel tank on his truck and hated to stop for anything. Dr's say a blood clot killed him. Since then, no matter how big a hurry I'm in, I stop every couple of hours and get everybody out and walk around for a few minutes. Maybe means a little less to some of you younger guys, but it could catch up with any of us.

hillbilly beef man":2ky5v7ve said:
My pastures are a fescue/clover mix, so the clover should help them get adapted a little better. I am in Carter co. If I rember right Kennt you in the Jonesville area?
WEll you got me there. You are in TN and I am still closer to Knoxville.

Reg charolais. I could care less about the registered part, but I needed some charolais to be ready to breed by New Year's Day, so it is kind of an odd lot I am looking for to start with. Most everything that I found was timed for spring calving.

hillbilly beef man":3abingpb said:
Reg charolais. I could care less about the registered part, but I needed some charolais to be ready to breed by New Year's Day, so it is kind of an odd lot I am looking for to start with. Most everything that I found was timed for spring calving.
What are you breeding then to?

hillbilly beef man":3cqjpc1q said:
Are you going to Rogers Charolais? I have always wanted one of theirs.

kenny thomas":2f952bcc said:
hillbilly beef man":2f952bcc said:
Are you going to Rogers Charolais? I have always wanted one of theirs.

No, they are way out of my price range right now. I'll tell you what, I'll pick you up one from there and deliver it if you buy me one too. ;-) . Those sure are some good looking cattle though.

Like you, just wishing I guess. I did buy a really good 800lb Charolais bull calf a couple weeks ago. Gonna raise a few bulls this winter to sell next spring.

denvermartinfarms":2zg3ws8o said:
Bigfoot":2zg3ws8o said:
Just keep living. I used to never even spot a tractor in the field for 5-8 hours if nothing went wrong and i could keep rolling.

Latest posts