8 down, 1 to go

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
I developed 10 yearling bulls this year over winter. I have decided that I will only sell them as yearlings, 12-15 mths of age so they only get fed for one winter and as I get older I feel better about handling them at this size. 10x 2 yr old bulls in my facilities can get a bit dangerous towards the end with them fighting when yarded and the occaisional one will start to question you. I have kept one for myself to use and the remaining 9 have been for sale. The top 3 had a price tag of $6000 and the remainder $5000. Every time I think about placing an advertisement someone rings up and comes and buys 1 or 2 so I have had no expenses advertising nor agents commission. It is a sellers market here at the moment. There have been a lot of yearlings brought forward for sale this year which I am happy about as people who are dead against using a yearling are being forced into buying a yearling bull so hopefully they will have a good experience and more willing to buy in the future. I think the bull market will be tight again next year as a lot of yearlings have been brought forward for sale and so will be short of 2 yr olds next year but I think the following year there will be a glut of bulls as everyone will be keeping what they can to sell.
Here are a couple of the ones I sold taken about mid August.

The first is an SAV Rainmaster out of a SAV Renown cow
2nd is by one of my bulls an EF Commando out of a Bruns Blaster heifer
3rd is a Basin Rainmaker out of an EF Commando heifer.

Ken

Attachments

• P1020499.JPG
    P1020499.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 42
  • P1020501.JPG
    P1020501.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 42
  • P1020507.JPG
    P1020507.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 42
They look great, excellent condition. Best way to sell is word of mouth, means you are doing things right.

I liked buying bulls as yearlings, they get used to your system and you can work them lightly and train them up. I also sell my bulls this way. I had a nice bull i intended to keep to run over my herd but a guy came and wanted him then and there so off he went.

Good job of developing Ken, hopefully the buyers will pull them in after breeding to let them grow and recover.

Good job of developing Ken, hopefully the buyers will pull them in after breeding to let them grow and recover.
Dave, I think they will , they were all very much commercial producers who know what they are doing rather than the "set and forget type" and the good thing is that they all want to know when I have some ready next year.

Ken

Very nice set of young lads you have there! Always nice when the buyer comes to you. Nice cattle you are producing.

Really nice bulls.
I would go with 1 - 3 - 2 Tailhead totally turns me off on #2 - but that is being picky. All would work GREAT, especially for a commercial guy. Good job.
2s tail looks like it has a fat ball under his tail, doesn't help with looks.
Looking again I would probably say 123. Not enough butt, and smaller bone on 3 is why I put him on bottom.

2s tail looks like it has a fat ball under his tail, doesn't help with looks.
Looking again I would probably say 123. Not enough butt, and smaller bone on 3 is why I put him on bottom.
The appearance of the tail head in no. 2 is not helped much by the Vibrio vaccine I gave him in the tail fold. Our Vibrio vaccine is a killed one each dose is 5ml with a very irritant adjuvant so you get a lot of swelling at the site but I do think his tail set is a bit high which he gets from his mother who is by Bruns Blaster whose progeny do seem to have a bit high tail set, non the less I am sure he will produce some good growthy weaners with a bit of size which is what the backgrounders like to buy at the annual weaner sales around here.
No. 2 is actually a well put together bull that has been picked out by a couple of good judges here however it is not a good photo that does not do him justice.

Ken

Latest posts