8.3 bales of hay per acre!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
I had about 27 acres of land that was water locked by the large amounts of rainfall that we got in Arkansas this June. I had Tifton 44 sprigged on this meadow several years ago and have been getting lots of quality hay on it. 15% protein and low 60s on TDN. Really good numbers if it's cut every 4 weeks.

I couldn't get to it for 8 weeks after applying 125# of ammonia nitrate and pot ash per acre.

I cut it for hay last week, and the amount of grass was unbelievable! So much hay that my baler would not take all the hay so we had to use half the rake. I get 225 bales of hay off of 27 acres. That's 8.3 bales of hay per acre! I'm sure that the quality will be down, but it shocked me at the tonage of hay.

redangus":3lrboddd said:
I had about 27 acres of land that was water locked by the large amounts of rainfall that we got in Arkansas this June. I had Tifton 44 sprigged on this meadow several years ago and have been getting lots of quality hay on it. 15% protein and low 60s on TDN. Really good numbers if it's cut every 4 weeks.

I couldn't get to it for 8 weeks after applying 125# of ammonia nitrate and pot ash per acre.

I cut it for hay last week, and the amount of grass was unbelievable! So much hay that my baler would not take all the hay so we had to use half the rake. I get 225 bales of hay off of 27 acres. That's 8.3 bales of hay per acre! I'm sure that the quality will be down, but it shocked me at the tonage of hay.
dont ya just love making that much hay to an ac.im hoping our medow will make 5 or 6 bales to the ac.

I have a little 10 acre hay field that two acres will kick out 20 rolls, the rest of the field kicks about 4 rolls to the acre.
No one has figured out what is so right with that two acres.
I would love to have fifty just like it. Same grass on the entire field it gets so thick in that two acres have to drop the tractor in low gear range to keep from bogging the tractor.

Bout to go rake and square bale a little 2 acre field for the horses. This will be the second cuttin this year. I can guarantee that I will get about next to the nothin. I wish this field would put off 8 rolls per acre.

redangus":2tq32gwh said:

what size bales?

gabby":2ayfijnu said:
redangus":2ayfijnu said:

what size bales?

4x5s

Most I ever baled was 22 rolls on a hair over two acres. It was a nightmare. Had to half rake like you did but still had trouble cause the bales would be in the way on the next pass. Also, the runners (Tift85) would pull the windrow toward me when the baler tried to wrap. They also got in the drive shaft and it smelled like somebody was cooking popcorn. Later had to replace a seal cause the hay messed it up. Hay wasn't worth a crap either but the cows did eat it.

redangus":ik4fttsf said:
gabby":ik4fttsf said:
redangus":ik4fttsf said:

what size bales?

4x5s

I figure you got 3.5 tons per acre. That's a lot.

My 60 acres averaged a little over 2.5 tons per acre. It was mighty thick and I almost couldn't rake it. I make 4x6 bales that weigh 1200 lbs and I got over 4 bales per acre.

Don't you love it, when its thick like that, having to get down off the tractor and crawl under the baler to pull the tangled mess out! Or does that just happen to me?

Jogeephus":29y42643 said:
Don't you love it, when its thick like that, having to get down off the tractor and crawl under the baler to pull the tangled mess out! Or does that just happen to me?

Yep, and you forgot to mention the lovely fire ants!!

On this tifton 44 hay medow, I usually get mid 60's in TDN and 14-15% protein. It was older growth this time, (8 weeks) and I lost a lot of protein.

Central Fl Cracker":i6fkbb4r said:
We just cut and baled 100 ac of bermuda and got 3 rolls per ac. We should be able to do another cut in 3 weeks if the rain Gods show up.

I'd like to know what a forage test would say on that. It should have some high numbers.