7840 Ford Tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Kennedy Farms

Reaction score
Does anyone run a 7840 Ford tractor? I have been having an intermittent problem with the PTO on this tractor, it works one minute and will not work the next. Anyone ever have a problem like this? The PTO is engaged by electronics (not a lever), so I know it has to be electrical related.

Thanks in advance.

Ran into the same thing on a John Deere 6300. It was just the turning on and off that gave a problem-if it turned on, it was good to go without any problems all day. It was just the switch. Pretty easy and cheap.

Kennedy Farms":31niyg5p said:
Does anyone run a 7840 Ford tractor? I have been having an intermittent problem with the PTO on this tractor, it works one minute and will not work the next. Anyone ever have a problem like this? The PTO is engaged by electronics (not a lever), so I know it has to be electrical related.

Thanks in advance.

Neighbor has a NH that had that problem. His problem was the alternator. The voltage needs to be higher for the PTO activation than the battery. I think he said 14 volts but don't quote me on that. Anyway he was trying to cut hay and the PTO would run and stop, then start again and the same thing again. Replaced the alternator and solved the problem. Your Ford may or may not be set up the same and I'm sure like in the other post wrote a switch problem or perhaps other causes as well.

Thanks, My tractor has done the same thing (starting and stopping). The switch works fine, but the PTO would be working (baling hay) then all the sudden it would stop. Not good as you can imagine.

I'll check the alternator out.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Had same problem on a 5640 Ford that turned out to be the instrument cluster having broken of loose connections. I took mine to a local starter and alternator repairman. Somehow he traced out the circiuts and resoldered them, Works good as new. A new cluster would pbobably be $500, he charged $80.
The alt light would begin to glow dim then flash on killing power to the PTO. Might want to check into this.

Latest posts