.70 cents for 5 wts. help

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
I had 30 calves that I did not sell this summer because of weight and need help. 2 or 3 of my mentors have suggested that I pulled the calves (450 lbs) and place them on a 40 ac. parcel we own. Here are my questions
1. How much feed should I feed per head
2. Once or twice daily
3. What kind of feed
4. Should I give them any kind of shots for the stress
5. I will be putting out molasses and hay
6. Do I have to grain feed the the whole time or will they eventually gain weight on just hay and molasses
Prices in florida are running .70 for 5 wght steers and .60 for heifers so I would take a beating if I sold right now. :help: :help:

How much do you want them to gain? If I were you, I wouldn't try to push them. Hay, molasses, couple pounds of grain apiece. They won't gain much, but they won't cost you as much either. Keep their condition and put maybe a pound and a half a day on them. You'll generally make more money that way vs. throwing grain at them pushing for 3 pounds a day. There are so many people in the same situation you are right now, its' not even funny. Try to figure what everyone else is doing, and do something different.

My first question is how much grass have you got? If the grass is good feed them 1/2 % of there body weight something like a 14% stocker ration is good or a corn glutin soy hull 50/50 every day till spring time and unload them then. But since you are feeding hay I'd say grass is not on the good side and is fair-poor if this is the case maybe 1-2% once a day. As far as the vacinations if you haven't worked these calves yet this is a good time to do so you will max your profit out in the spring. If you are lucky, on grass and free choice hay without feed maybe 1lb. a day. With a 14% stocker ration good hay and pasture 2-2.3 lbs. per day. Keep in mind what you will be trying to market in the spring and make that your goal you may even consider buying a few calves to finish out the load and market a truck load of precon. 7wt. steers in March.

Good calves will gain 1 to 1.5 lbs/day on grass hay with a couple pounds of protein and ionsopore.
DDG works wonders up north. Not sure what you have available in Florida.

kenny thomas":isyw7sus said:
Question on feeding molasses. Are they not very low in protein?
All molasses does is help with palability and reducing dust

jedstivers":1jev8x17 said:
If you are in a area with whole cotton seed they are 20-21% protein and other good things think about feeding them.

Jed - you buy that straight from the gin? If so, how much they charge?

Arkieman":2qb1m97p said:
jedstivers":2qb1m97p said:
If you are in a area with whole cotton seed they are 20-21% protein and other good things think about feeding them.

Jed - you buy that straight from the gin? If so, how much they charge?
Yeah, from the gin,$ 230 ton but it depends on the spot price for the day.