$ 70.00 a roll.... wtf

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett":3phn6qcc said:
skyhightree1":3phn6qcc said:
http://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/3971704426.html newly listed
Must not have anything better to do with their time or money.....If it needed the hay for myself I'd bale it.
Sure wouldn't bother baling it to sell for $20 a roll.

I agree. Have one little patch left to clean off. Like to have enough for two years under shed. Certainly a good problem to have (as I've had it the other way) but I'm just lining it up outside now. I know what it costs me to roll it. Would hate to sell it for 20.00.

fitz

1982vett":pp38btu7 said:
skyhightree1":pp38btu7 said:
http://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/3971704426.html newly listed
Must not have anything better to do with their time or money.....If it needed the hay for myself I'd bale it.
Sure wouldn't bother baling it to sell for $20 a roll.

the hay prices and the cheap custom baling here is why im reluctant to buy a new baler. Its alot cheaper to either buy or let someone else bale my stuff for me.

1982vett":3lor9bv2 said:
Caustic Burno":3lor9bv2 said:
That is what I am doing right now as I am feeding hay now. Got grass just absolutely nothing in it except dry straw standing. I cut the herd 70% in 2011. Last year I bought 19 opportunity girl's and ran through the summer with the resident girl's. I am selling some girl's I really don't want to. Guy coming to get them tomorrow.
I'm still "understocked" so to speak. Pastures were never very strong this year but the little bit of rain we have gotten has kept the cows satisfied (at least till now). I've was able to rotate through pastures and hay meadows up until a few weeks ago when I opened the gates to all of them. I've got several high strung gals I was so "lucky" to get last year when I was restocking. Also have several with udders breaking down. Really need to get them gone.

I went out and got some pics of the hay meadows I turned in on a couple weeks ago.

This is what my bermuda looks like.

The native hay meadow.

I know a couple 4-15 inches of rain would green things back up....cause this was last weeks water leak.

$70 for a 4x4 roll is a little steep for sure.I get $35 for mixed grass and $50 for really good orchard grass.
Can someone give me an estimate of what it would cost to bale round bales of hay from fertilizer all the way thru to finished product

Thanks

alot depends of how much fert cost you have in each bale of hay you bale.most cases its $50 a bale including baling.

1982vett":1u9e5f7o said:
1982vett":1u9e5f7o said:
Caustic Burno":1u9e5f7o said:
That is what I am doing right now as I am feeding hay now. Got grass just absolutely nothing in it except dry straw standing. I cut the herd 70% in 2011. Last year I bought 19 opportunity girl's and ran through the summer with the resident girl's. I am selling some girl's I really don't want to. Guy coming to get them tomorrow.
I'm still "understocked" so to speak. Pastures were never very strong this year but the little bit of rain we have gotten has kept the cows satisfied (at least till now). I've was able to rotate through pastures and hay meadows up until a few weeks ago when I opened the gates to all of them. I've got several high strung gals I was so "lucky" to get last year when I was restocking. Also have several with udders breaking down. Really need to get them gone.

I went out and got some pics of the hay meadows I turned in on a couple weeks ago.

This is what my bermuda looks like.

The native hay meadow.

I know a couple 4-15 inches of rain would green things back up....cause this was last weeks water leak.

Geez that stuff looks like you could cut it rake it and bale it the same day... I hope you got more rain.

It's pretty well dried up....day after day of over 100 degree temps and essentially no rain for 2 months does take the green out of things. Starts to look a little better 25 miles west...cotton farmers are trying to pick cotton so they are catching some rain..... :???: .....

BTW... I just walked some of my pastures and it sounded like I was walking on a potato chip field this dry weather for the last few weeks has really taken a toll and no water in the near future.

skyhightree1":34iicosq said:
BTW... I just walked some of my pastures and it sounded like I was walking on a potato chip field this dry weather for the last few weeks has really taken a toll and no water in the near future.
Sounds like good cotton picking weather..... :D ...Had another shower of rain yesterday afternoon here at the western home. Radar showed one shower zipping over the farm. At least it's trying. 97 wash the high so it's getting cooler with the shorter daylight.

1982vett":25btr50w said:
skyhightree1":25btr50w said:
Sounds like good cotton picking weather..... :D ...Had another shower of rain yesterday afternoon here at the western home. Radar showed one shower zipping over the farm. At least it's trying. 97 wash the high so it's getting cooler with the shorter daylight.

lol no cotton we are picking corn though yea daylight getting shorted sucks.

Latest posts