$ 70.00 a roll.... wtf

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't know about the quality but people are advertising hay around here cheaper than I can roll it. Feast or Famine.

fitz

3way Do you put up your own hay ?

fitz -Yea, I know a guy who sells it 20 a roll but its cattle hay. I have a ton of hay and havent made the 2nd cut yet and probably wont be able to for a while with all this rain.

skyhightree1":szvv1dxv said:

fitz -Yea, I know a guy who sells it 20 a roll but its cattle hay. I have a ton of hay and havent made the 2nd cut yet and probably wont be able to for a while with all this rain.

Some, but i buy most of it!

3waycross":2tjtkgj3 said:
skyhightree1":2tjtkgj3 said:

wow i know that puts a nice dent into the profits

skyhightree1":2pfkelbr said:
3waycross":2pfkelbr said:
skyhightree1":2pfkelbr said:

wow i know that puts a nice dent into the profits

couldn't do it if i was selling steers at the salebarn

skyhightree1":1dfeh92r said:
i agree wow I cant believe those prices. How much do you normally put up a year?

We figure a minimum of 2 tons per cow. The little bulls eat a little less plus grain of course! Depends on the winter. The last few years we haven't had measurable snow until around Dec 1. So that helps!

We're always one flood or one drought away from $100+ round bales around here. Took 2 years for prices to come back down to 'normal' after 2011's drought.

greybeard":16sye79j said:
We're always one flood or one drought away from $100+ round bales around here. Took 2 years for prices to come back down to 'normal' after 2011's drought.

Wow thats alot of $$$$ I just cant wrap my head around those prices.

hey $70 a roll is cheap if your in a drought an theres no hay tobe found.the last drought we had a friend of mine was giving $100 a bale for hay delivered.

bigbull338":35bh72ze said:
hey $70 a roll is cheap if your in a drought an theres no hay tobe found.the last drought we had a friend of mine was giving $100 a bale for hay delivered.
I saw lots of that in '11 and on advertised on Tx craigslist, much of it was coming from Tenn, Ky and Va.

Wow... I wish I could have sold some I normally have about 250 + 5x5 rolls left over every year. I would feel like im taking advantage of someone for selling them at those prices though. I probably would sell them for 30-40 a roll though.

You read the ad and they are 4 by 4 bales. That is about 400 or maybe 500 pounds of hay. So he is getting between $280 and $350 a ton. I can buy premium grade alfalfa delivered and stacked in my barn for less than that.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Never buy hay by the bale, do it by the ton. On the other hand if you have hay to sell, try to sell it by the bale. People will pay more for it by the bale.