7-way shots

Help Support CattleToday:

To be more specific....it should be called "7-way ()". But you are probably referring to a clostridial vaccine. The seven way means that it provides resistance to 7 different types of the diseases in it's category. I believe there are actually 8 known in the category and I try to find an 8 way when vaccinating, the 8th being tetanus clostridium.

We vaccinate with an 8-way as well, D.R. Guest, I'm not sure what's in the 7-way, but the Pfizer UltraChoice 8 lists :

Clostridium Chavoei (Blackleg)-Clostridium Septicum(Malignant Edema)- Clostridium Haemolyticum(Bacillary Hemoglobinuria)-Clostridium Novyi(Black Disease)-Clostridium Sordellii(Gas-Gangrene)-Clostridium Perfringens Types B,C & D(Entreotoxemia and Enteritis)Bacterin-Toxoid.

Although Cl. perfringens type B is not a significant problem in North America, immunity is provided by the beta toxoid of type C and the epsilion toxoid of type D. This product consists of killed, standardized cultures of Clostridium spp., with a special, water-soluble adjuvant (Stimugen).

Here's a link to the Merck Veterinary website if you'd like to research a little more on the diseases that these vaccines are designed to prevent.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... dvsrch.jsp

Take care.

Latest posts