7 month old heifer stopped eating

Help Support CattleToday:

Ron Shaffer

Reaction score
I have a young heifer that stopper eating yesterday. She eats in a separate stall from the other cows and I noticed that the hay and grain from the previous day was still there. I haven't changed the amount or frequency of her feeding for the last few months. She is still having small bowel movements so I don't think she is bound up. She is still up and walking around, but not as well as she used to. Has anyone ever seen this before and is there a quick cure? I'm just about ready to call the vet.

If she doesn;t have a temp I would first think of upset stomach. Too much grain maybe? Take away the grain and just keep her supplied with good grass hay for a day or 2 and see if she starts eating again.

I'd call the vet, if the animal is worth it.

Too many things it could be to waste time trying to fix what you guess it might be.
Meantime - Temperature? Dehydrated? Stomach looking full/empty? Breathing normal? Ease of moving? Dung consistency, colour, any blood?
All sorts of things that might begin to indicate where the problem lies and what can be done about it.

No temperature,Started eating a little this morning and she is moving better. I'll pull the grain away and see if she is better tomorrow. If not will call the vet.

Thanks

Ron Shaffer":6mp2gwzk said:
No temperature,Started eating a little this morning and she is moving better. I'll pull the grain away and see if she is better tomorrow. If not will call the vet.

Thanks
Did you TAKE her temperature? Are her ears up & perky when you are not "around"?

Can ya' take the heifer into the vet? Save you a service call. I don't know how it is in your part of the world, but here, looking at and treating large animals costs a fraction of what looking at and treating small animals...certainly the cost would be less than what the heifer is worth alive...

Alice

The vet is about 8 miles away and he is really reasonable on close service calls. I got a chance to watch the heifer a little more yesterday, and she seemed to be eating a lot more and drinking more. Looks like she is going to be OK. I have no ideas on what happened or why.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions