7 & 7 Synch protocol anyone using it?

Help Support CattleToday:

ita47

Reaction score
I started my synchronization protocol last night. I inserted Cidrs and gave a shot of Lutalyse to my cows. I'm trying the 7 & 7 Synch this year to see if it increases conception. My Select Sires rep recommended it. I'm not using it on my heifers. Anyone else trying this?

Attachments

• 36BA37DC-551C-471B-93C2-52BCA569DBD6.jpeg
    36BA37DC-551C-471B-93C2-52BCA569DBD6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • A2A69E5D-53BC-4C78-8CFE-C59606CD2ACE.jpeg
    A2A69E5D-53BC-4C78-8CFE-C59606CD2ACE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
Haven't tried this yet but will be reading up on it. Keep us posted on how it goes. We'll be breeding in January and always open to try new methods. Thanks for the link/article

I started my synchronization protocol last night. I inserted Cidrs and gave a shot of Lutalyse to my cows. I'm trying the 7 & 7 Synch this year to see if it increases conception. My Select Sires rep recommended it. I'm not using it on my heifers. Anyone else trying this?

How was your estrus response at AI using this protocol? I realize it is probably too soon to get a feel for conception, more interested in the response using this protocol. Were more cows showing signs as opposed to previous protocols you used?

Response was very good. Better than I have ever had before. I synchronized 15 cows in this group and 14 of the 15 were in standing heat. The heat also seemed like a stronger response than normal. Only had one cow that didn't respond and she was time breed. As for conception I won't know until we preg check and even then sometimes it is calving time before I know for sure. I also synchronized 5 heifers but used the regular 7 day cidr protocol and had all 5 in standing heat. At this point I plan to keep using this 7&7 protocol.

I just finished breeding cows using this protocol and will definitely be using it again. Set up 16 head (7 first calf cows, 4 second calvers, and the balance ranging from 4-12). 14 of the 16 were in heat by hour 60, with 13 of those between 36-60. The two non-responders were bred on time at 72 hrs had pretty good tone to their cervix.

we also set up 7 heifers on the 7 day cosynch with CIDRs and observed heat for 72 hrs. Really poor results. Last year we had great luck with the same protocol. Thinking about using 7&7 on heifers next year. It hasn't been studied in heifers yet, but from a reproductive physiology standpoint, it should work just fine I think.

Thank you @WarEagle73 for the information! What breeding timing did you go with after signs of standing heat? 12 hours post first signs of standing? Definitely sounding like this is what we will be trying this season.

Last edited:
We used 7&7 this fall. Bred only on observed heats and were done breeding cows and yearling heifers at 60 hours. Three of the 4 we didn't breed were calved <30 days and didn't cycle. We ultrasounded yesterday and had conception rate 87.5% in one pen, 75% in another pen and 33% in last pen. Don't know what happened there. I like 7&7 protocol

Our friend who is also our veterinarian used this protocol in November on just over a 100 of his own cows. He said he had only a couple not show heat. He also won't know until spring how many stuck to the AI. He actually puts them in with the bulls right after AI breeding, so won't know for sure except on those he blood types. He does genomic profiles on all of his potential replacements and any bulls he keeps, so he will get back information on parentage for all of those. His herd consists of red Balancer's that mostly go back to Leachman breeding.

My plan was to use this protocol when we breed in May. My Vet's experience has definitely reinforced that decision.

We try to breed as close to 12 hrs after onset of heat as possible. During that short heat detection window, I am out there every 2-3 hours from 7 am to 10 pm. We will watch for heats at 21 days and rebreed AI, so I'll have an idea of our conception rate in a couple weeks.

I just finished breeding cows using this protocol and will definitely be using it again. Set up 16 head (7 first calf cows, 4 second calvers, and the balance ranging from 4-12). 14 of the 16 were in heat by hour 60, with 13 of those between 36-60. The two non-responders were bred on time at 72 hrs had pretty good tone to their cervix.

we also set up 7 heifers on the 7 day cosynch with CIDRs and observed heat for 72 hrs. Really poor results. Last year we had great luck with the same protocol. Thinking about using 7&7 on heifers next year. It hasn't been studied in heifers yet, but from a reproductive physiology standpoint, it should work just fine I think.
If you have the time and can run them through the chute one additional time, we have had tremendous response and luck with the 14 day protocol in heifers. I was speaking to Jordan Thomas about the 7&7 up at Mizzou and he wouldn't recommend it yet. I know the repro group isn't on anything but for sure not on heifers yet. If you go read Dr. Perry's work over the last decade or so, the heifer protocols aren't as important as making sure the heifer had started puberty.

I also spoke with Jordan about using 7&7 on virgin heifers. His group didn't have any data so he wouldn't recommend. I tried it and I wouldn't recommend either. We had 86% adult cows, 40% first calf heifers and 29% virgin heifer preg rate at ultrasound. All were bred on observed heats. Funny thing is we rebred all 2nd time with GnRH and 7 day Lutalyse and got 100% on virgin heifers and 87% on cows / first calf heifers. Didn't even put out a cleanup bull because the ones that didn't settle were on the list anyway. Like 7&7 except for virgin heifers

I am going to try the 7&7 protocol. But have a couple of questions. 1. when where you putting patches on?? I assume at day 14? 2. when do you breed on visual heat after day 14? then the rest at 66hrs

Patches go on when you pull CIDRs and lute them just like regular CIDR protocol. I breed as soon as they quit standing or are at least walking out of it when another cow tries to mount.

Just got done using this protocol. I thought I did something wrong because I wasnt seeing any reaction. Then it hit fast and furious! (LOL). I had everyone in the group react. Basically inseminated on observed heat on every cow in the protocol. Backsides where almost raw. I never had such strong reactions like this on all cows that where used in past prtocols.

Just got done using this protocol. I thought I did something wrong because I wasnt seeing any reaction. Then it hit fast and furious! (LOL). I had everyone in the group react. Basically inseminated on observed heat on every cow in the protocol. Backsides where almost raw. I never had such strong reactions like this on all cows that where used in past prtocols.
Sounds good, you might have talked me into using it this year. Be interested to hear the results down the track.

Ken

Latest posts