6I6

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
This guy hasn't been discussed much other then I think lack of performance in his bull calves and stature.
Rito 6I6 of 4B20 6807 #12530601
What are the pros and cons? I asked a couple of Angus breeders around here and all of them said the same thing, "just haven't used him". No reason why given

Thanks
dun

I've heard him called "the best old man bull in the breed". Disposition is great. I'm not into alot of frame and his calves come easy and do well for moderate cattle. I've heard that its hard to freeze semen on his sons, it may be the particular freezing protocol. If you are tired of EXT dispositions use 6I6.

You will need to use him on cattle with lots of spring of rib and heart girth, he tends to tighten the cattle up. You can see that in his picture though.

I do like his daughters

dun":2492o6tr said:
This guy hasn't been discussed much other then I think lack of performance in his bull calves and stature.
What are the pros and cons? I asked a couple of Angus breeders around here and all of them said the same thing, "just haven't used him". No reason why given

Thanks
dun

We,"just haven't used him." Can't use them all. We have bought a couple of heifers bred to him and were not pleased with the first bull calf. He's got a lot of use, so somebody must like him. This latest 6I6 calf born in Jan was a very attractive bull calf. He looked like a little bull from the day he was born, key word here "little". He's on test now and gaining 6.38 lbs per day at the 56 day weigh. So we'll see.

We've used 6I6 with mostly good results. In my experience he works best when bred to powerful females. Overall I really like his progeny and used him again this past year and plan on using him again in 2007.

There is more talk these days about moderate framed, smaller females rather than the 1600 lb+ cows. With more producers becoming more concerned about utilizing more efficient females, I believe we'll see more use of 6I6 and other bulls that moderate frame.

Dun, another 6807 son that we will be testing, which I believe will also moderate frame is Connealy Dateline. From what I understand he offers many of the same benefits as 6I6 but possibly has more middle and add a little more thickness.

UG":2hljzsjw said:
We've used 6I6 with mostly good results. In my experience he works best when bred to powerful females. Overall I really like his progeny and used him again this past year and plan on using him again in 2007.

There is more talk these days about moderate framed, smaller females rather than the 1600 lb+ cows. With more producers becoming more concerned about utilizing more efficient females, I believe we'll see more use of 6I6 and other bulls that moderate frame.

Dun, another 6807 son that we will be testing, which I believe will also moderate frame is Connealy Dateline. From what I understand he offers many of the same benefits as 6I6 but possibly has more middle and add a little more thickness.

This Connealy Dateline? AAA#12015519

Photo: http://www.whitestonekrebs.com/dateline.html

If you're "testing" him, you're reinventing the wheel. He's a '93 model bull, proven over and over. We like his daughters.

Yea Frankie,

We're talking about the same Connealy Dateline.

I wouldn't say that I'm reinventing the wheel just because the bull has been around for awhile and has been successful for others. There have been a whole lot of bulls that have apparently worked for other folks but not for us.

So, until we have had a chance to evaluate Dateline progeny ourselves, we will be "testing" him.

Happy New Year!

I've really liked the 6I6 cattle I've seen. I have seen ONE that would eat you but he is a fluke from the ways the others I've seen have worked.

Dateline is a great bull. I really like the cattle he produces and have a grandson out of him that I really like.

frankie i really really like the connealy dateline through really good bulls and hiefers

He seems to be dwindeling in popularity around here. Wife's father has some cattle out of him that he really likes, and I've seen a couple bulls in the past that I liked. Was one I had an absolute fit over last year but his toes were too long for my liking. I've looked through every local sale this year hoping to find a 6I6 son but everyone seems to be caught up in the bull of the week club.

cfpinz

What about the fertility of his daughters?
What I am looking for is somethign fairly easy calving with good daughters calving ease, adequate milk, less stature, decent udders/feet and legs and something that won;t screw up our existing temperment, capacity and muscle. Wife is tired of the sea of red when she looks at the cows.

dun

I have used 6I6 on commercial first calf heifers. Probably as easy of calving bull out there. His calves were a little marginal for growth but there shape of body is fine. I feel he worked better on my bigger heavier structured females. This last spring when his daughters calved I was impressed with the udder quality and they all settled first service AI. I believe there were six of them total. I bred them to a Hereford bull to get some performance out of them and it worked wonderfully. No man-eaters in the bunch but still not as docile as my Hereford sired baldies.

Lack of growth?

He's in the top 25% of the breed.

How much growth do they need?

He will grow with the average Simmental and Gelbvieh, so if he has a lack of growth for most commercial cattlemen, I'll eat my hat.

Badlands

dun":2ssvcoas said:
What I am looking for is somethign fairly easy calving with good daughters calving ease, adequate milk, less stature, decent udders/feet and legs and something that won;t screw up our existing temperment, capacity and muscle. Wife is tired of the sea of red when she looks at the cows.

dun

You don't want much, do you? :) I consider 6I6 a calving ease (heifer) bull and don't think you'll get the muscle out of him that you will get from some other bulls.

Badlands: Just because a certain bull has high growth EPDS does not guarantee how well his progeny grow in every herd. Some bulls just work better in some herds.

In the case of 6I6 I had other AI sired calves to compare with and my 6I6 calves were not as growthy. FWW I have talked with other commercial producers who felt similarly.

He earned his EPD somehow.

The calves I saw were more moderately framed than many bulls, but were not any lighter.

Perhaps eyeballing them isn't the best idea of measuring weight.

Of course, most of the issue is probably resolved with the question, "compared to what other bulls?"

I just can't see how commercial guys need Angus to grow like Continentals. If I am to have Continental growth and mature size, I think I would like the REA, too.

Badlands

Frankie":255z1d83 said:
dun":255z1d83 said:

dun

You don't want much, do you? :) I consider 6I6 a calving ease (heifer) bull and don't think you'll get the muscle out of him that you will get from some other bulls.

You consider him??? You admittedly haven't even used him.

Good growing cattle, calving ease, excellent udders, milking ability and fertility. I have 4 or 5 of them. Great dispositions. I like the cattle. Don't understand the criticism, of course, a lot of angus people think GAR cattle are good. :)

dun":1unlb85x said:

Thanks
dun

My experience with him has been kind of disappointing. I would use Dateline or some of the other 6807 sons. I don't think I'll be using 6I6 again. Having said that, my ai rep who doesn't handle 6I6 said, " you have to be patient with his daughters they will make good cows in about 4 or 5 yrs." His bulls to me just don't have the performance-a little smaller than what I like. But as someone mentioned, just breed him to some of your larger cows.
IMO he is indeed a heifer bull.

dun":z3tyj5q5 said:

Thanks
dun

dun:

as usual, you have the info right. we had some decent sons and daughters out of him but they lacked extreme growth and frame. one customer wanted his money back because the bull didnt "fill out" like he thought he should. the bull was a 6I6 out of this cow http://d5825806.he79.hostexcellence.com ... 005003.JPG which is a 5-5.5 frame cow. after taking a bath on that one, we moved to bulls with a little more frame. every year we have people calling to see if we have any 7 frame bulls in the sale.

personally, i think there is a place for him. it is in making females that work. we have a 6i6 daughter out of the same cow that is moderate framed, deep and muscled with ideal udders. if you want to make cows and arent worried about using average carcass genetics, he is probably your man.