Help Support CattleToday:

Killala":tbm51l4i said:
KNERSIE":tbm51l4i said:
I like the 6 year old and 2 year old, really don't like the 4 year old.
Thanks.
Can you tell me why?

Weak shoulder attachment, devil's grip and too shallow are the main reasons.

Killala, I'm with you on this. I think to the untrained eye your bull may look shallow? I don't see it? I see a bull that's been out there breeding cows on big pasture. Shallow? NO!
Take him off the cows for a few months, give him feed, wash and fluff. Even the forum expert will want semen. WELL :oops: :oops: Probably help if he were the right breed. :shock: :oops: :oops:

mnmtranching":32wif3jp said:
Killala, I'm with you on this. I think to the untrained eye your bull may look shallow? I don't see it? I see a bull that's been out there breeding cows on big pasture. Shallow? NO!

Making excuses for bulls will get you nowhere. We obviously have different standards when it comes to phenotype, to each his own.

Take him off the cows for a few months, give him feed, wash and fluff.

Only the uninformed think you can feed ribs longer.... :roll:
Take him off the cows for a few months, give him feed, add an inch of backfat and an inch of fat on the brisket, that will make him two inches "deeper chested", if that is enough for your conditions then you are fortunate to have an easier environment to run cattle in than I have. I was asked why I didn't like him and I gave the reasons, nothing more, I am not trying to convince Carla to change breeds or her breeding program, I just gave the answer to her question.

Even the forum expert will want semen. WELL :oops: :oops: Probably help if he were the right breed. :shock: :oops: :oops:

Not sure whom this is aimed at, but I shall just say this...

Bringing cattle out for a show is an art in itself and not voodoo magic. You cannot feed ribs longer or muscle longer than the genetic potential of the animal, you cannot feed an unsound animal into a sound one, you can only minimise minor flaws to the "untrained eye" While I see showing as a neccesary evil for my operation I can appreciate good phenotype and the efforts some make to improve phenotype. While showring whims has hurt my breed probably more than anything in the past there is still a place for the showring in todays world. Just look at some of the "great numbered" bulls in the semen catalogues to prove my point.

I think show cattle are great to. They have their place and a great pastime and hobby.
But for example, Show type cattle in South Africa has nothing to do with the US beef industry or Australia's.
I see the type cattle that were the norm in the Us in the 70's. US technology has changed things since then including agriculture, including the beef industry.
I was there raising beef cattle in the 70's, we thought we had good cattle. Not compared to today. Something like the US corn crop has gone from 70 bu per acre to 170. Same with cattle. So much more efficient in every way. And they are not the show type hobby type cattle I see posted here. [for the most part] I see some very good cattle now and then.

Latest posts