600# calf bloating

Help Support CattleToday:

allritecoach

Reaction score
Hi I am new to the board and have a small problem. My son has a steer that has bloated up twice in the last two weeks. He is receiving about 12 pounds of feed per day, consisting of 10 pounds corn(whole), 1 pound 32% concentrate, 1/2 pound beet pulp, and 1/2 pound 12% sweet feed. He is also getting 2-3 pounds a day of decent alfalfa hay also. We feed him twice a day giving 1/2 of feed at each feeding. Any suggestions on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Seems like kind of a hot ration to me, maybe not. That is someone elses speciality.

How are you treating the bloat? It can get out of hand and be fatal, but I;m thinking yuo know that already. On the blue bar where you log in, there is a search option ~ search "bloat" and read for a bit. LOTS of info you can use!

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick replies. I will pickup some bloat ease tomorrow. I may also back off some on the hay and concentrates.

fine hay would be good for a bit. They need a mix of hay. Some alfalfa, some other some wild. In our area fine hay is defined as timothy and bromegrass.

Had one just like that this fall. Still have him actually. For me it was the hay. I kept the heat in the feed, but switched to a first cutting grass hay and it subsided. Bloat is tricky though. Could very well be different for yours.

i would agree that he needs more lower protein hay , cut back on all the hot feed and increase the grass hay

Skipped feeding him last night, looked a lot better this morning. I cut back on the concentrate and switched hay to some with more grass in it. Have any of you used Coke to get rid of bloat? I remember doing it once when I was a kid. :banana:

Latest posts