60 day breeding cycle

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
For those of you on a 60 day breeding schedule if you kept your open cows/heifers and extended your breeding season an additional 60 days what percentage of your open cows/heifers would you expect to be rebred?

As a general rule of thumb, if a cow or heifer is open around here after 60 days, chances are they have something wrong with them. In a normal year I run about 2% late. Having said that, I probably run about 60% re-bred rate in the second 60 days. So out of 100 cows, I'll have 2 or 3 open after 60 days, and out of those 1 or 2 will be bred in the second 60, with the last critter remaining open due to some kind of bad reproductive issue. I expect my open percentage to increase in the next couple years, as my herd is aging and with the BSE garbage, culls aren't worth shipping anymore.

Rod

We breed for spring and fall, both 60-65 days long. Mid June to mid or late August for the spring cows. Any that come open go into the fall herd for breeding from late October to end of December. If they come open a 2nd time, abort before term or dance between spring and fall calving more than once, they hit the road.

denoginnizer":25re9kho said:
For those of you on a 60 day breeding schedule if you kept your open cows/heifers and extended your breeding season an additional 60 days what percentage of your open cows/heifers would you expect to be rebred?

We don't keep them, unless there is a very good reason for not breeding back. Given a normal breeding season, no problems keeping the bull home, and proper management - if they haven't settled in 3 attempts, why would they settle in 4 or 5?

Latest posts