6 yr old Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

drdosu2002":16i73xb2 said:
Sorry my picture posting isn't very well honed yet! D Advance 22
DAdvance22large.jpg

ADV Bear 91
Bear91Large.jpg

Since Deewall cattle were first posted here, I've spent a little time looking at their linebreeding process.

For instance, the subject bull of this thread traces back to this bull 8 times in 5 generations:

thearrow.jpg

He appears twice in each of the subject bull's grandparents' pedigrees, thus the influence isn't confined to primarily the sire or dam's side of the pedigree.

By the way, THE ARROW was actually a Line 1 bred bull.

George

Herefords.US":3ae2nyqe said:
Since Deewall cattle were first posted here, I've spent a little time looking at their linebreeding process.

For instance, the subject bull of this thread traces back to this bull 8 times in 5 generations:

He appears twice in each of the subject bull's grandparents' pedigrees, thus the influence isn't confined to primarily the sire or dam's side of the pedigree.

By the way, THE ARROW was actually a Line 1 bred bull.

George

that brings up something I have always wondered. Carlsons bred THE ARROW bull - they also used arrow as a prefix for their cattle - was that their brand or something. i always wondered its meaning. it seems like there were arrow carlson cattle that didn't go back to the arrow... maybe just bred similair?

I believe The Arrow was originally named differently and upon purchase Franklin Nash shortened it to the Arrow. I am not 100% sure, but I believe that Arrow C used to be Carlson's brand, so probably where arrow names came from. Interestingly, The Arrow traces back something like 10 generations to Advance Domino 20 who was sired by Advance Domino 13 who was sired by Advance Domino. Advance Domino 13 was the initial bull that the Nash's began line breeding with. Yes, the Miles City Line Ones do go back to these DeBerard cattle as well. From what I understand, Miles City selected more on numbers while the Nash's selected more for phenotype (muscling, correctness, et. al), and adaptiveness to their mountain climate.
Also interestingly, the other foundation for the Nash/Deewall cattle is Anxiety 4th thru Beau Mischief and two brothers that Nash's used Beau AB and AB Mischief.

lcc":1td8l0xn said:
cut the bull at his heart it is about 33% ofwieght the bull . then top side no rib. no pigmemt. this the reason we do'nt have herfords. our family had them for over 50 years.

I have a vague idea of what you are attempting to relate here, but a little bit more specific explanation would help. Are you criticizing his phenotype? Are you commenting about his (or his progeny's) potential Percentage of Retail Product on the rail? The "spring of rib" of his progeny can be addressed with concentrated selection EPD's of the dams to which he will be bred, and the same goes for his "balance, if that is a concern to you. What exactly do you consider his negative characteristics - either Phenotype or Genotype? The "no pigment" comment is over my head, I am sorry to say. Please explain that to me insofar as Terminal characteristics are concerned. You quit the Hereford breed because of -what??

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2d4ijgej said:
lcc":2d4ijgej said:
cut the bull at his heart it is about 33% ofwieght the bull . then top side no rib. no pigmemt. this the reason we do'nt have herfords. our family had them for over 50 years.

I have a vague idea of what you are attempting to relate here, but a little bit more specific explanation would help. Are you criticizing his phenotype? Are you commenting about his (or his progeny's) potential Percentage of Retail Product on the rail? The "spring of rib" of his progeny can be addressed with concentrated selection EPD's of the dams to which he will be bred, and the same goes for his "balance, if that is a concern to you. What exactly do you consider his negative characteristics - either Phenotype or Genotype? The "no pigment" comment is over my head, I am sorry to say. Please explain that to me insofar as Terminal characteristics are concerned. You quit the Hereford breed because of -what??
DOC HARRIS

a Lack of understanding their strengths, is my guess....

That old Arrow bull was an impressive looking bull in his pics I'd of liked to get behind him on a horse and herd him around a bit he appears to be pretty sound. Some of the udders bear watching I'd think but overall pretty good loking cattle.

i don't where to start. i love hereford cattle. the arrow brand all on hereford cattle are from Coopers from willowcreeck mt. Carlson from jamstown nd added arow c. these are both great hereford cattle operations. down here in se tx the hereford do,nt work beacauce of bad eyes and bags. all so buyers hates small ribs and low cut %.