6 teats

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I bought a nice Herford calf. She was born with 6 teats. I hear this is common. The dealer that I brought her from said that he would remove them. We the calf is weaned and delivered will 6 little hanggys not four. The question is do they need to be removed and how do I do that with a 600 pound calf.

rayi":33eujf1v said:
I bought a nice Herford calf. She was born with 6 teats. I hear this is common. The dealer that I brought her from said that he would remove them. We the calf is weaned and delivered will 6 little hanggys not four. The question is do they need to be removed and how do I do that with a 600 pound calf.
Was the deal that the dealer "WOULD" remove them before delivery to you. If so, what is his excuse for them not being removed. If he said that he would remove them that should be his responsibility.

la4angus":107h4abx said:
rayi":107h4abx said:
Was the deal that the dealer "WOULD" remove them before delivery to you. If so, what is his excuse for them not being removed. If he said that he would remove them that should be his responsibility.

I bought a Ford from a dealer never a Hereford, what do you think the extra pair if teats are hurting. I have a herd full of herefords with six teats never been a problem

Two of the teats are blind, i.e. nonfunctional. The only problem they pose is if they are in a position that they ould interfere with a calf nursing or be in the way when you put a milker claw on them. I kind of doubt if you'll be milking her with a milker so it's no big deal. On dairy heifers they usually snip them off at about a a year, but that's because of the possible milker problem. Calves catch on real quick to which ones provide them more then a pacifier and just ignore the others.
Did he say he would or he could remove them. If he said he would, I'ld squack and try to get him to remove them. Which ever way it works out I wouldn't do business with him again.

dun

rayi":e1u6v06o said:

Hey La4Angus, got a quick question for you. Did you happen to have a guy flushing Embryos for you out there today?

My Angus cross cow has six teats. I am not worried about the two little extras at the back. I noticed her calf does suck on them, I tried one and it actually works. For the life of me I can't think up a reason they should be snipped off a beef cow, working or not. Unless the heifer is for showing?

I also have Herefords, some with six teats never been a problem, why worry unless you plan to show. I don't think this is a hereford only problem. Even the top quality show stock show up with extra teats. My understanding is they are cut off right after birth. You shouldn't have a problem leaving them, in fact you may create more problem by cutting them off... infection, etc.

Alan

page":t2h6hbiz said:
My Angus cross cow has six teats. I am not worried about the two little extras at the back. I noticed her calf does suck on them, I tried one and it actually works. For the life of me I can't think up a reason they should be snipped off a beef cow, working or not. Unless the heifer is for showing?

Weren't you worried about getting kicked in the head? :lol:

I bottle-raised a Red Angus cross heifer that has 7 teats. She had her first calf 2/27 and it turns out that 5 of her teats are functional. She's got 2 on the left, 3 on the right, and 2 non-functional halfway up the back of the udder.

From what I've been told, extra teats are apparently the most common "birth defect" in cattle.

Ann B

Well, fit2btied, she's an Angus cross, not a cross Angus! :roll: Either her A.I sire Wilmo Right Time produces gentle cows, or it's because my sister (who has horses) imprinted her as a day-old calf. She is a tolerant cow which comes in handy now and then.

page":2ovb6oep said:
Well, fit2btied, she's an Angus cross, not a cross Angus! :roll: Either her A.I sire Wilmo Right Time produces gentle cows, or it's because my sister (who has horses) imprinted her as a day-old calf. She is a tolerant cow which comes in handy now and then.

I think you missed it. When I read your original post, I immediately got this mental picture of you down on all fours under the cow, latched on to a teat (NOT with you hand!). It just sounded dangerous to me, no matter what the disposition of your cattle. What if she mooooved and stepped on your fingers?

Latest posts