6 month old calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a six month old beef cross calf ,out on pasture, also being fed grain. Found it tangled in the fence. When it was removed it walked straight into another! Very disorientated, wont eat, walks into things, circles, breathing okay at first. One hour later tries to stand but tips over, eyes rolled back, breathing shallow and rapid, yet seems alert, bellers when others are around. HELP? Does this sound like it could be contagioous to the rest of the cattle? Maybe something spread by ticks?

[email protected]

If you are grazing tall fescue this calf might have fescue foot.Recently I had a calf to have one heck of a fit throwing his back feet up in the air rolling around.My vet diagnosed as fescue toxicity.Some of the symptoms are rapid breathing,trembles,disorientation,salivating from the mouth,diahrea,kicking back feet.The vet said to pull him and a day later he was o'k.Some are alot more sensitive than others.I sold the calf for a good price he looked fine.That may or may not be your problem some of the others may have some ideas.

[email protected]

> If you are grazing tall fescue
> this calf might have fescue
> foot.Recently I had a calf to have
> one heck of a fit throwing his
> back feet up in the air rolling
> around.My vet diagnosed as fescue
> toxicity.Some of the symptoms are
> rapid I keep a mag block out to reduce the Fescue toxicty reaction
> breathing,trembles,disorientation,salivating
> from the mouth,diahrea,kicking
> back feet.The vet said to pull him
> and a day later he was o'k.Some
> are alot more sensitive than
> others.I sold the calf for a good
> price he looked fine.That may or
> may not be your problem some of
> the others may have some ideas.

Ok, I live in Canada, we don't have fescue or many ticks, so I don't think of these things. The first thing that pops into my mind is listeriosis (bacterial infection of the brain) the second is polioencephalomalacia. Frankly, I'd call your veterinarian for a full exam and proper diagnosis. Good Luck! V

is it possible that this calf is blind? or just completely exhausted from being entangled and struggling to get untangled for a period of time?

> I have a six month old beef cross
> calf ,out on pasture, also being
> fed grain. Found it tangled in the
> fence. When it was removed it
> walked straight into another! Very
> disorientated, wont eat, walks
> into things, circles, breathing
> okay at first. One hour later
> tries to stand but tips over, eyes
> rolled back, breathing shallow and
> rapid, yet seems alert, bellers
> when others are around. HELP? Does
> this sound like it could be
> contagioous to the rest of the
> cattle? Maybe something spread by
> ticks? To keep you updated...next morning calf looks worse, looks like it's starting to suffer...by days end though its back up standing but holding head down...vet called...he thinks some brain disorder..rabies,listeria, lead poisoning...takes blood sample, but its Friday eve so nothing will happen until Monday with it. If it dies before Monday we will send head in for diagnosis...

[email protected]

Latest posts