6 month calf with dry nose

Help Support CattleToday:

tammyscott

Reaction score
Hi I have a 6 month old calf and she's not acting like herself, her nose is dry, and she has a little cough. And when she's laying down she breathes weird. She eats fine and drinks fine. I have noticed tho she isn't lovey like she normally is, she loves to give kisses but she hasn't in a few days and is pretty skiddish to me now and that's just not like her. Should I be concerned?

My first thought is that you can take your pick from one of the many respiratory ailments that affect cattle. Dry dusty conditions or dusty feed tends to be triggers from my experience. In the past they would list all the pathogens separately but now it seems they are lumping them all together in a group under the umbrella of "BRD" - Bovine Respiratory Disease. There's plenty of websites and YouTube videos about it.
Basic first step is to take her temperature and place a call to your vet...he can recommend step two based on your description of the symptoms and the temperature reading.

I agree to take her temp & contact your vet for further consultation. You say she's not lovey & skittish like she usually is: keep in mind that cattle are prey animals and even though she may know you, instinct tells her you're a predator. Common behavior when they don't feel well or something's wrong.
Any other symptoms? Droopy ear, snotty nose, runny eye(s), etc. Your vet will want to know.

Latest posts