6 day old calf

Help Support CattleToday:

S276474

Reaction score
I have a 6 day old angus calf that I have been having trouble getting to nurse. The cow and calf are penned together now but still not nursing. The cow has a plenty of milk but the calf acts like he doesn't want to nurse or even try. We have been feeding him twice a day with milk replacer. Had no trouble getting him to suck or finish the bottle. However, this morning his left eye was watering and by this afternoon had turned a blueish/white color and he also seemed to have lost his balance. When he was walking around he would just waver back and forth like he's drunk. Any thoughts as to what might be wrong?

I had one in December that was healthy in every way but would not nurse or even take a bottle with colostrum I milked out it's mom. It died in 24 hours, so your doing better than I did.

I have never seen these symptoms. I suggest you call your vet.

***didn't she/he/it say something sort of like goodbye???

If the cow has plenty of milk why are you feeding the calf milk replacer? You don't have the ability to milk her out or to put the calf on?

Like I said earlier, the cow had plenty of milk but she had a one good teat, one dead teat and the other 2 are bigger than normal but work they just might be too big for a calf of his age. We were afraid he just wasn't getting enough so we started supplemental feeding. After consulting with our vet, we started putting electrolytes in his bottle as well as a couple shots... I can't tell you what they were because I wasn't there when they were administered. He also said the eye would probably heal up on its own but wasn't sure on the cause.

As of tonight he is night and day difference from when I posted Sunday. We have noticed he is nursing more and is up moving around the pen more. We are still continuing the supplemental feeding just as a precaution. Thank you for all the recommendations and help... It is appreciated.

Latest posts