6 day old calf died

Help Support CattleToday:

Banker729

Reaction score
9/11 - Calf Born

9/13 - Calf was lethargic and let me easily walk up to it. Tounge was slightly hanging out and was gant. Picked her up and took her and Mama up to the barn. Gave calf a shot of Multi-Min and B Vitamin. Milked cow and fed the calf 2 pints of her milk in a bottle... Did not look like chlostrum. After I fed the calf, we put the calf on the udder and she nursed on her own.

9/14 - Calf had a little spunk when I went to the barn, was a little harder catch. Got it caught and mama's udder was tight, so we milked her again and bottle fed the calf 3.5 pints. After the bottle, the calf was nursing again even butting the udder so it really acted like it knew what it was doing.

Turned the calf and cow out because I had to be out of town until today and when I let them out, the calf was spunky and running around.

9/17/15 - Checked cows today and the calf was laying dead in the pasture. Looks to have died 9/16/15.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Several possibilities... all guesses.
I see congenital cardiovascular anomalies pretty frequently - they often look to be perfectly normal, then 'wake up dead' one day... or may be slow/lethargic from the outset, and circle the drain pretty quickly, depending upon the severity of the defect.

Possibly not sucking/drinking from momma's teats as you had thought. That was my 1st thought.

My second thought was along the lines of what LuckyP posted, cardiovascular issues.