6.7 Fords

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":1zqgre1d said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1zqgre1d said:
True Grit Farms":1zqgre1d said:
Everyone's results will vary but that's terrible fuel mileage. I'm still stuck on Dodge - Ram trucks, but if they ever stick me I'm going back to Ford. 300k miles between two Ram trucks and neither one has ever been to a mechanic, a couple of water pumps and a front hub assembly. Plenty of factory recalls on both trucks but I'm not letting some fool screw up a good truck.

Yet you turn your own wrench?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D
That's OK at least I can change my own flat tire and not worry about getting my hands dirty or breaking a nail.

You definitely don't mind being dirty.

Brute 23":1vjyomj1 said:
Blue924.9":1vjyomj1 said:
The company I work for has one with a service truck. Valve dropped at 90k and it got a new engine. Now at 180k turbo is out and transmission is slipping

Yup. We have them for company trucks and we literally bought a trailer so I could just haul them in. The worse is the fuel system crap. That's a $12K fix... and good luck getting a straight answer on that deal. They know if they jack you around long enough you will cave because you need the truck back.

Plus Ford is out of hand with their warranty stuff. If you aren't running a "Ford" air filter or fuel filter or any other part no warranty for you.

ANY of the 3 new diesels can eat $10k plus on a fuel system repair. The cost of out of warranty repairs is one reason there is a 6.2 Ford sitting in my driveway.

True Grit Farms":3net70wi said:
6.7 is a fuel hog compared to the Cummins, 17.2 is the best mpg I saw and that was on the back roads at 65 mph or less. On the highway at 85 mph I got 13.9 mpg. I think the 6.7 is a good engine and they definitely have the power.

I have a 2017 F250 with the 6.7 and average 19.2 empty 17.6 with trailer loaded.

hillbilly beef man":eq9u4php said:
Brute 23":eq9u4php said:
Blue924.9":eq9u4php said:
The company I work for has one with a service truck. Valve dropped at 90k and it got a new engine. Now at 180k turbo is out and transmission is slipping

Yup. We have them for company trucks and we literally bought a trailer so I could just haul them in. The worse is the fuel system crap. That's a $12K fix... and good luck getting a straight answer on that deal. They know if they jack you around long enough you will cave because you need the truck back.

Plus Ford is out of hand with their warranty stuff. If you aren't running a "Ford" air filter or fuel filter or any other part no warranty for you.

ANY of the 3 new diesels can eat $10k plus on a fuel system repair. The cost of out of warranty repairs is one reason there is a 6.2 Ford sitting in my driveway.

Out of the co trucks it's like 60% have been in for "fuel" system. That's too many.

The guys like my boss who drive a lot with the new Fords don't get better that 13mpg. I've had a new Ford for a rental and I didn't get better either.

cfpinz":x6ngb4kj said:
Brute 23":x6ngb4kj said:

What year models do you have experience with? Higher rate of failure with the earlier models?

14 and 15s

True Grit Farms":12iak9xw said:
Everyone's results will vary but that's terrible fuel mileage.

I just threw that out there to mess with you. That picture was taken after an approximate 5 mile pull up a pretty steep grade, with mileage reset at the bottom. 28.5k gross.

The Dodge held around 35 MPH and was limited by EGT's. My 7.3 Fords hold about 15 MPH on the same grade with comparable GW.

cfpinz":13h5x6mk said:
True Grit Farms":13h5x6mk said:

I just threw that out there to mess with you. That picture was taken after an approximate 5 mile pull up a pretty steep grade, with mileage reset at the bottom. 28.5k gross.

The Dodge held around 35 MPH and was limited by EGT's. My 7.3 Fords hold about 15 MPH on the same grade with comparable GW.

I pulled Jelico mountain with a JD track loader - backhoe combination heading south, the Cummins definitely had it's tongue hanging out.

It's a 13 or a 14. Cab and chassis so it's supposed to be derated for longer engine life. Meanwhile the ram 5500 with Cummins has 200k and I just put a starter on it.

cfpinz":1boixtee said:
True Grit Farms":1boixtee said:

Are the 7.3s the indirect injection (idi) or the newer ones with the turbo and direct injection. Also with the EGTs up there you must have it running pretty hot (mods). May not be comparing oranges to oranges although those Cummins will pull.

jltrent":31r78jf2 said:
cfpinz":31r78jf2 said:
True Grit Farms":31r78jf2 said:

Are the 7.3s the indirect injection (idi) or the newer ones with the turbo and direct injection. Also with the EGTs up there you must have it running pretty hot (mods). May not be comparing oranges to oranges although those Cummins will pull.

The old 7.3 are idi the power strokes are ecm controlled.
My Cummins is tuned for fuel economy, but my best mpg happens to be at 125 hp tune and 21 degree timing. You definitely need to watch the egt in the mountains or you'll have a melt down towing.

jltrent":30nwy3iw said:
cfpinz":30nwy3iw said:
True Grit Farms":30nwy3iw said:

My 7.3's are direct injection Powerstrokes, two of them have opened up downpipes and Superchips tuners - the EGT's will jump on those, too.

The Cummins has a pile of aftermarket stuff that was put on by the original owner and it's hopped up pretty tight.

Drove one of the new 6.7 Fords today and was really impressed by it. Still has Dana axles under it with actual hubs, and the whole truck just felt solid to me. Loved the interior. If I could order one with a stickshift, I'd have wrote a check today.

I bought my 2017 6.7 F250 Ford last July and I am very impressed. So far, it is the most impressive truck that I have owned. It makes the 6.4 F250 seem like a child and gets 2-4 miles better per gallon. I average between 16-17 mph stock with dramatically more power than the Fords and Dodges that I have previously owned (3/4 ton and 1 ton diesels + 1 Chevy gas 1 ton not to be mentioned). I still have my 2006 6.0 F350 for the dirty work on the farm. It's a solid truck after bullet proofing the EGR and chipped, but won't average over 13 mph.
Ron

cfpinz":2wtlsz87 said:
jltrent":2wtlsz87 said:
cfpinz":2wtlsz87 said:

My 7.3's are direct injection Powerstrokes, two of them have opened up downpipes and Superchips tuners - the EGT's will jump on those, too.

The Cummins has a pile of aftermarket stuff that was put on by the original owner and it's hopped up pretty tight.

Drove one of the new 6.7 Fords today and was really impressed by it. Still has Dana axles under it with actual hubs, and the whole truck just felt solid to me. Loved the interior. If I could order one with a stickshift, I'd have wrote a check today.

Ford has the best automatic transmission in the light truck diesel market by far. Chewing on the $62k for the new Ford that I wanted choked me down.....for now.

I've got a 2015 f350 it just turned over 100,000 it does everything I want it to do, the 1 thing I don't like is the ride, empty it is terrible.
Mpg is 14 to 17 depending, that doesn't bother me cause I know if you have a mule you've got to feed it!!!

Silver":1g9pw4vf said:
I like looking at my trip meter and seeing this fuel economy

If my math is right, that equates to 22.4mpg. That's pretty outstanding.

SRW pickup? Details and your thoughts on the truck would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

cfpinz":2pxq8v5q said:
Silver":2pxq8v5q said:
I like looking at my trip meter and seeing this fuel economy

If my math is right, that equates to 22.4mpg. That's pretty outstanding.

SRW pickup? Details and your thoughts on the truck would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes, SRW F350. Quite happy with the truck so far, but time will tell the tale. I often pull a 3 horse living quarters horse trailer that weighs 8000 lbs empty, I would assume loaded with water, gear, a horse, etc. it would be in the 12000 lb range. It burns fuel then, about 12 mpg, but this is pretty hilly country. Really impressed with the hold back, rarely use the brakes even loaded. The fuel tank holds 181 liters (47 US gallons) so range is exceptional.

Silver":1kr9a1wg said:
Yes, SRW F350. Quite happy with the truck so far, but time will tell the tale. I often pull a 3 horse living quarters horse trailer that weighs 8000 lbs empty, I would assume loaded with water, gear, a horse, etc. it would be in the 12000 lb range. It burns fuel then, about 12 mpg, but this is pretty hilly country. Really impressed with the hold back, rarely use the brakes even loaded. The fuel tank holds 181 liters (47 US gallons) so range is exceptional.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I've noticed on our trucks the dual wheels usually knock 2 mpg off right from the top, though they're all flatbeds and I can't see that having much to do with anything. My wife's horse trailer sounds identical to yours, and her SRW Dodge gets 11-13 mpg pulling it from what I gather.

Does the Manual position on the shifter change the way the truck downshifts if you're going up a mountain? And does the exhaust brake only work above a certain speed? I've noticed on her truck (an automatic) that the EB only works above 20 or 30 mph, can't remember which but thinking it was 20. The one on my manual truck works no matter what the speed.

cfpinz":1zsdfwjj said:
Silver":1zsdfwjj said:

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I've noticed on our trucks the dual wheels usually knock 2 mpg off right from the top, though they're all flatbeds and I can't see that having much to do with anything. My wife's horse trailer sounds identical to yours, and her SRW Dodge gets 11-13 mpg pulling it from what I gather.

Does the Manual position on the shifter change the way the truck downshifts if you're going up a mountain? And does the exhaust brake only work above a certain speed? I've noticed on her truck (an automatic) that the EB only works above 20 or 30 mph, can't remember which but thinking it was 20. The one on my manual truck works no matter what the speed.

Yes, I've noticed that DRW will knock the mpg down a little for sure in any vehicle. Slightly larger after market tires even worse I've noticed.
In Manual mode you need to shift every gear yourself with the +/- button. The transmission will only shift itself if it is about stall or about to over rev.
I like to leave it in auto mode but use the +/- button to lock out the top gears of my choice. With Tow Haul engaged and a couple of taps of the brakes at the top of the hill I often find I have to give some throttle on the way down.
It seems to me the exhaust brake works down to about 20 km/h but I may be mistaken.

Latest posts