6.7 Cummins

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
Just bought a 2007 Ram 3500 for a farm truck. I have always been a ford man but my 6.4L F350 is now in someone else's shop :banana:

This truck is the later 2007 model with the 6.7. I wanted a manual transmission but got a good deal on the truck so I took a chance, it has the 6 speed automatic. You guys that are familiar with these trucks, can you tell me the good, bad and ugly. What to keep an eye on and so on. Thanks

I bought a 2007 6.7 about 3 years ago and it's been an awesome truck. Mine is a manual so I can't speak for the automatic transmission but the only issues I've had with mine is the ball joints and tie rod ends but that's a pretty common dodge problem. I have 123k on it now and it pulls great

rockcreekfarm":27bxtgjc said:
I bought a 2007 6.7 about 3 years ago and it's been an awesome truck. Mine is a manual so I can't speak for the automatic transmission but the only issues I've had with mine is the ball joints and tie rod ends but that's a pretty common dodge problem. I have 123k on it now and it pulls great

Thanks for the feedback RCF, I will sure check it out

One automatic is far better than the other. I can't remember what the good one is, but you'll know if you have it if you have those cooling fins on the back of your rear diff.

Do a Google search. There is a laundry list of recalls and they were so problematic the govt forced Dodge to do a buy back.

You can read my multiple posts with ALL the problems I had with my 08. To summarize it was in the shop for 2 months and I bounced asap.

Brute 23":efvtq2hi said:
Do a Google search. There is a laundry list of recalls and they were so problematic the govt forced Dodge to do a buy back.

You can read my multiple posts with ALL the problems I had with my 08. To summarize it was in the shop for 2 months and I bounced asap.

fabulous :bang:

midTN_Brangusman":qndqolt8 said:
Brute 23":qndqolt8 said:

fabulous :bang:

Ya I remember seeing some priced pretty cheap a while back. A lot of people claim no problems on here so maybe you will get lucky too. :)

The major stuff was related to the emissions mostly. If your state is pretty laxed on that stuff you may be able to delete it. I have an old tuner for my 08 I never used. Think is B&K or BK or some thing I think... blue and black with a shield and lion on it. If it will help let me know.

Be sure all the recall work has been done though. There were people getting killed before the tie rod recall.

Make sure the cooling system is good, the #6 cylinder has less coolant around it than the 5.9 because of the bigger bore, and it runs hotter, in some cases scoring the cylinder.. I'd recommend installing a pyrometer and Trans temp gauge if it hasn't been done already

Delete it, re-tune it with Anarchy Diesel tunes. Run it in tow mode. Engine will outlast the truck. Transmission is weak link; use tow/haul mode when towing and use the exhaust brake. The exhaust brake causes the turbine blades to rotate, keeping them from sooting up into a fixed position. Once deleted, these are the easiest 2007+ diesels to work on. If it's an SLT or ST model, the rest of the truck is pretty easy to work on and parts are relatively cheap for the most part. Be prepared to replace the driver seat cushion; best $100 I have spent on Amazon!

Is it a Cab & Chasis or Regular pick-up? I bought a 2007 6.7 C&C new and it has been the best truck I've ever owned. Only problem so far has been the turbo, this was pretty much a known issue when I bought it though. It's pretty much been my ranch truck for the last 10 years and takes anything we throw at it. Oh yea it's a 6 speed manual. I might never sell it for this reason. Does anyone even offer a manual transmission now days?

Spend the money for the deletes and you will love the truck. I replaced ball joints with greasable ones from moog and they come with a lifetime warranty. That was 60k miles ago and no problems so far. All trucks have quirks but I have had good service from my dodge trucks.

Lucky":1i6935c3 said:
Is it a Cab & Chasis or Regular pick-up? I bought a 2007 6.7 C&C new and it has been the best truck I've ever owned. Only problem so far has been the turbo, this was pretty much a known issue when I bought it though. It's pretty much been my ranch truck for the last 10 years and takes anything we throw at it. Oh yea it's a 6 speed manual. I might never sell it for this reason. Does anyone even offer a manual transmission now days?
I put a 6 speed in my truck!

Moog parts suck! they cost 3x more than the chinesium ones but don't last any longer... so I'm just getting the cheap ones now.. There's some fine print on the Moog warranty too that basically means you don't get any.

Nesikep":i70wngbf said:
Lucky":i70wngbf said:
I put a 6 speed in my truck!

Moog parts suck! they cost 3x more than the chinesium ones but don't last any longer... so I'm just getting the cheap ones now.. There's some fine print on the Moog warranty too that basically means you don't get any.

Shop laughed at me when I put a Chinese Ebay drag link and tie rods in my front end, over Moog, for less than 1/4 cost. They were impressed at quality, but still...Chinese. Jokes on them, 5 years later and still tight.

Lucky":2hvzqxu1 said:

They are sure hard to find. Yes it is cab and chasis, has a cm flatbed on it. Thanks for the info Lucky

Well the truck got picked up yesterday, its in Abilene, TX. Will be here tomorrow, I haven't seen it in person. Hopefully it will make a decent farm truck.

2cxce2a.jpg

I'd never be able to drive that around the cows.. once they find that bumper is good to rub on they'll all be there!

Decent truck, hope it does well!

Nesikep":lced2lbv said:
I'd never be able to drive that around the cows.. once they find that bumper is good to rub on they'll all be there!

Decent truck, hope it does well!

I heard that, I have put one on my last three trucks, we have a high deer population here and radiators are expensive.

Latest posts