6.2 Ford

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Do you likem? Always a chevy guy, but I like the looks of the newer ford pickups. I've got one in sight ,that has 163k on it, any problems I need to be aware of structurally with the truck, or any known failures on the motor? 2012 modelf250.

I had a 13' f250 CC 4x4 with 3.73 and really liked it. I had no issues and ran the dog S...t out of it. It had a ton of idle time and pulled many a GN load. I think I had 120k on when the new truck bug got me. I'd buy another one in a heart beat. I literally drove it with toenails in the radiator. My monthly average on MPG was in the 10-ish range, not bad considering thats city/hwy/trailer/4x4/idle time. Truck saw 90mph on the highway all the time and no joke, would pull my 54hp case with FEL and 7' wide cross cut disc all day long at 80 mph on my 25' GN. Now the majority of my trailer loads I would lock out 6th gear. When/if I buy another one, it will have the 4:30 gears in it to pull better. I pulled 10-12k pretty regular and it did fine but I do not think I would have to lock 6th out as much with 4:30 gears. I did pull a 40' fifth wheel with 3 axles and someone redid the interior, it was in the 18k range. It was heavier than an average 5ver and had the tall roof over the 5th wheel, the kind where you can stand up and walk around. Against the wind it was comfortable around 65mph and that was all that truck wanted. We run them at work in the oilfield with multiple drivers on them, on average we get rid of them around 250k. They have held up pretty good. Much better the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels we had. I had mine tuned by a local guy at about 90k miles, I had him set the speed limiter higher and other things. That really woke the truck up. My only complaint was the ac vents, they broke, the fins that direct the air.

My buddies think I lost my mind cuz I traded it in on a Nissan Titan with the 5.0 Cummins. They had some good deals on the 18's and the big 3 did not want to deal. We will see how it holds up but not gonna lie, I do miss the F250 -it was like a Timex.

SALTBRANCH2":1c7dxmbi said:
I had a 13' f250 CC 4x4 with 3.73 and really liked it. I had no issues and ran the dog S...t out of it. It had a ton of idle time and pulled many a GN load. I think I had 120k on when the new truck bug got me. I'd buy another one in a heart beat. I literally drove it with toenails in the radiator. My monthly average on MPG was in the 10-ish range, not bad considering thats city/hwy/trailer/4x4/idle time. Truck saw 90mph on the highway all the time and no joke, would pull my 54hp case with FEL and 7' wide cross cut disc all day long at 80 mph on my 25' GN. Now the majority of my trailer loads I would lock out 6th gear. When/if I buy another one, it will have the 4:30 gears in it to pull better. I pulled 10-12k pretty regular and it did fine but I do not think I would have to lock 6th out as much with 4:30 gears. I did pull a 40' fifth wheel with 3 axles and someone redid the interior, it was in the 18k range. It was heavier than an average 5ver and had the tall roof over the 5th wheel, the kind where you can stand up and walk around. Against the wind it was comfortable around 65mph and that was all that truck wanted. We run them at work in the oilfield with multiple drivers on them, on average we get rid of them around 250k. They have held up pretty good. Much better the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels we had. I had mine tuned by a local guy at about 90k miles, I had him set the speed limiter higher and other things. That really woke the truck up. My only complaint was the ac vents, they broke, the fins that direct the air.

My buddies think I lost my mind cuz I traded it in on a Nissan Titan with the 5.0 Cummins. They had some good deals on the 18's and the big 3 did not want to deal. We will see how it holds up but not gonna lie, I do miss the F250 -it was like a Timex.

How do you like the Nissan? I have seen a few around here and I kinda like the way they look. What size truck are they considered 1/2 ton or 3/4 ?

pricefarm":s5permz7 said:
How do you like the Nissan? I have seen a few around here and I kinda like the way they look. What size truck are they considered 1/2 ton or 3/4 ?

I really like it so far. It rides better than the F-250 and it handles the same loads with no issue's. One thing I hate about it is the small fuel tank, 26 gallons. I am glad I do not do long distant towing,if I did I would get the 50 gallon tank that after market company makes to replace the stock fuel tank or put a auxillary tank in the bed. I like the 5 year/100k bumper to bumper warranty. I am only at 8k miles. Tow rating is about 12k and the payload is 2500lbs I think. They are between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton I believe. Powerwise its like my 2004 Dodge 3500 with the 5.9 HO I think.

SALTBRANCH2":3au1vi6c said:
pricefarm":3au1vi6c said:

I really like it so far. It rides better than the F-250 and it handles the same loads with no issue's. One thing I hate about it is the small fuel tank, 26 gallons. I am glad I do not do long distant towing,if I did I would get the 50 gallon tank that after market company makes to replace the stock fuel tank or put a auxillary tank in the bed. I like the 5 year/100k bumper to bumper warranty. I am only at 8k miles. Tow rating is about 12k and the payload is 2500lbs I think. They are between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton I believe. Powerwise its like my 2004 Dodge 3500 with the 5.9 HO I think.
Where's the fuel mileage at? Empty and loaded, thanks.

SALTBRANCH2":gcrwvq5r said:
pricefarm":gcrwvq5r said:

Not trying to be nosy but about what do these trucks sell for ?

Snoopdog I did not mean to hijack your post. The 6.2 is an awesome motor and the tranny in the 12/13 trucks are the same ones behind the diesels, so the 6.2 should never hurt it.From what I have read the tranny behind the 6.2 n the newer trucks was changed to different version, not sure what year model the change was made. I will start another post on the Titan

SALTBRANCH2":gmk17xyy said:
Snoopdog I did not mean to hijack your post. The 6.2 is an awesome motor and the tranny in the 12/13 trucks are the same ones behind the diesels, so the 6.2 should never hurt it.From what I have read the tranny behind the 6.2 n the newer trucks was changed to different version, not sure what year model the change was made. I will start another post on the Titan
No problem hoss, I'm really looking at this truck, its within my budget, but I am still looking, gonna go drive it tomorrow. I just cant spend the dough and have to put a full set of coilpacks or something in it within a year or two. I'll spend extra to get something with less miles. I just can't do new, never could.

I was thinking about it and the only other problem I had with the truck was rear axle seals. I blew those out 2x but that would be my fault for overloading it. I would put 5k in the bed and later on the flatbed without looking twice. I will check with our shop foreman tomorrow on the company trucks to see if/what issues have popped up over the years.I know we have been running them in the company trucks since they first came out in 2011 I think.

Sold my 7.3 and got in to a 2011 6.2 4x4. I haven't pulled anything with it yet, just hauled a couple thousand pounds in the bed a few times. I love the truck, it runs better than my 7.3 with a small tune did, it's quiet, gets about the same mileage (12.5 in the 6.2 vs 13-14 in the 7.3) but fuel is $1/gal cheaper. Maintenance is cheap(er) and oil changes are a breeze. All the research I did before buying mine showed them to be solid trucks.

snoopdog":28wkiye4 said:
Do you likem? Always a chevy guy, but I like the looks of the newer ford pickups. I've got one in sight ,that has 163k on it, any problems I need to be aware of structurally with the truck, or any known failures on the motor? 2012 modelf250.
Not to change subject but I am an ex Chevy customer as well. I will never purchase another GM product in my life. The bailout, making the 5.3 with known problems (we replaced 18 of the 23 our company owned between 09 and 13) and now laying off 14,000 people. I've just had enough.

BigBear":tnev3znb said:
snoopdog":tnev3znb said:
Not to change subject but I am an ex Chevy customer as well. I will never purchase another GM product in my life. The bailout, making the 5.3 with known problems (we replaced 18 of the 23 our company owned between 09 and 13) and now laying off 14,000 people. I've just had enough.

You will be walking and wiping your but with leaves if you start grading every company you do business with like that.

BigBear":2mai10in said:
snoopdog":2mai10in said:
That has no bearing on MY decision, I'll buy a chevy, if the value is there. The truck I'm looking at has a new bale bed and is priced less than a regular box bed in my area. But, a mile is a mile.

Aaron":384uwxcu said:
While we are on topic. Opinions? In USD it would be $27500.

http://prairieautosales.ca/listings/2017-ford-super-duty-f-250-srw-xlt/

Is the mileage in Km? If so, that is about 20k US miles? That really does not seem like a bad price to me, and a very nice truck from the pics. Heck the tailgate does not even have scratch's on it from what I could see. I was trying to compare to trucks down here and regular cb xl 2wd ae starting in the upper 30's low 40's. That is a sharp looking truck without a doubt. Something about a good regular cab truck. I keep telling my wife, the next truck I get is going to be a regular cab 1 ton dually, flatbed 4x4 and hopefully a standard tranny if they are still around in 5 years.

One thing to think about with a regular is the passenger side airbag and carrying babies/small kids. I have learned this with the regular cab Nissan Titans I just bought. In order to carry kids in a rear facing car seat you must be able to turn the airbag off manually. My Nissans are automatic with weight sensors in that seat so I can't take my grandson in that truck as it sits right now. I have the crewcab diesel Nissan so its not a big issue really except that truck has way to much new on to run it around the ranch. There are companies that make manual switch but that' convo is for another post.

On a seperate note, with the talk of looking at used vehicles. I had a conversation with a rental company owner the other day. I rented several tables/chairs for about 80 people for a dinner we had with our antique store. He had a fairly new box truck(like a uhaul type truck) sitting there with paper tags. We are close to the point needing such a truck with our antique store so I started asking about it. He told me the cheapest way to get one is to go to local banks and get with the upper management and tell them what I am looking for. They will sell the repo's they get and get my info put on a list the banks have. This truck was a 16' chevy with a 16' box and 28k miles and he got it for 15k. Showed me the paperwork. He said he started doing that about 8-10 years ago. To be honest I never thought about going at it like that before. He said he did that with the cargo trailers as well. Thought it was interesting

Latest posts