5W-20 2014 F-250 6.2 gas

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I went to a reliable Quick lube I have used for 7 years. Told them to use a synthetic blend oil as recommended by the dealership.

I noticed the sticker in the corner of the windshield indicates they used 5W-20. May be a mistake. I am going to question them.

M-5":208kazf5 said:
not likely , my hemi engines run 5/20 all you have to doo is look at your oilcap or the sticker on the hood

I did and they should too. Says 5W-30

Going back in to talk about this today

Look at your bill and see if they charged you for synthetic.

There's very little difference between the two. A lot of people prefer 5w-20 because of a minuscule increase in few mileage. If having the exact type is important to you, it would be worth telling them up front and not assume they're going to use what the cap says.

M-5":l5r0jcet said:
my biggest question is why a healthy grown man cant change his own oil .

Too many other priorities.

Actually, it is part of the warranty issue. I bought it last week. The general warranty expired. The drive train warranty still has 21 months remaining or 12,000 miles, which ever occurs first. The dealership advised keeping receipts to show it was changed. The CarFax documents all the previous service. According to the CarFax, the truck was a service truck at the original dealership before it came to the dealership where I purchased it. So all the previous service is documented on the CarFax.

All of the quick lube places around here I wouldn't trust changing my all in my bicycle. My work uses one of those places to do all the normal maintenance on our trucks and they are constantly screwing up.

pricefarm":154sqq35 said:
All of the quick lube places around here I wouldn't trust changing my all in my bicycle. My work uses one of those places to do all the normal maintenance on our trucks and they are constantly screwing up.

I share that concern. After seeing this, I have called the Ford dealership which is about 50 miles from here. I am planning future service through them even though, it will be more expensive.

dun":2tgsss84 said:
Look at your bill and see if they charged you for synthetic.

Receipt says 7 quarts of Motorcraft 5W20. They got the 7 quarts right. I saw that in the service manual.

It does not say if it was synthetic.

Bright Raven":1ga8wmhz said:
M-5":1ga8wmhz said:

Actually, it is part of the warranty issue. I bought it last week. The general warranty expired. The drive train warranty still has 21 months remaining or 12,000 miles, which ever occurs first. The dealership advised keeping receipts to show it was changed. The CarFax documents all the previous service. According to the CarFax, the truck was a service truck at the original dealership before it came to the dealership where I purchased it. So all the previous service is documented on the CarFax.

receipts can be kept and I know dodge has a website for you to enter your Maint. records

M-5":25zedb0r said:
Bright Raven":25zedb0r said:
M-5":25zedb0r said:

receipts can be kept and I know dodge has a website for you to enter your Maint. records

I changed my oil and filter yesterday. Used 0-40. I guess its a full synthetic, cause it was $40 for 7 quarts. I kept the receipt of course, but do I need to log it on the web site you mentioned? I've never been a Ram guy before.

Bright Raven":27hadf84 said:
M-5":27hadf84 said:

BR has a legitimate reason. I know several that have been turned down on warranty issues because they did their own maintenance, thereby not being able to prove the oil was actually changed. They were not turned down by the dealership but by the manufacturer. Dealership doesn't care they just want their money. On a new one with a warranty I always take it back to the dealership so they can't argue.

vhvjv7.jpg

I would have bet the farm that it said 5W30.

BTW: Ford also has a maintenance app. Called Ford owner- My Vehicle. I downloaded it.

In accordance to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, no car company can void a warranty for changing your own oil. It's no different than having it done at some quicky lube place, you simply have to keep receipts to prove it was done and done with the right products.

M.Magis":1lxm3iud said:
In accordance to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, no car company can void a warranty for changing your own oil. It's no different than having it done at some quicky lube place, you simply have to keep receipts to prove it was done and done with the right products.

I googled the subject. You are correct. I bought my Ford used from a Toyota dealership. The salesperson I worked the deal through advised me to be very cautious on protecting the remainder of my warranty by using the right fluids, perform the prescribed maintenance on schedule, not altering the vehicle in a way that voids the warranty, etc. She recommended doing it through a Ford dealership even though she was Toyota.

Bright Raven":2nbnzd7f said:
vhvjv7.jpg

I would have bet the farm that it said 5W30.

BTW: Ford also has a maintenance app. Called Ford owner- My Vehicle. I downloaded it.
From the old motto "it's easier to get forgiveness then permission"

This is going off memory, but I believe at some point Ford switched oil recommendation for the 6.2 motor. Something like 2011 and 2012 models called for 5w20 and 2013 to current they switched to 5w30? Go to fordtruckenthusiasts forum there's lots of really good info on there about your truck.

My dad was telling me the other day they got their oil changed for their Kia at the dealer, just before they left they stopped him, they realized they put wrong oil in (5w20 vs 5w30 or vice versa)...they drained it out right and refilled it with the right oil and didn't charge him for the change.

You'll be able to tell if they put in synthetic if the bill was somewhere around $100...

I'd recommend changing it yourself. Factory powertrain warranty no way should give you grief about not having a vendor do maintenance. Check your warranty paperwork.

Latest posts