5410 Rebel Vermeer

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Any one using this baler and what do you like or dislike about it. I can buy one that has about 200 bales run through it for $13000. The baler has net wrap.

I have one and it's an excellent baler for smaller acreage. It's not a "run" fast baler - 3rd gear low on an average windrow is the best I can do without clogging it. It puts out a nice 4x5 tight round bale. There was a service bulleten out regarding a software glitch in the monitor and the Vermeer people took care of it right away for me. I don't bother with the dealer much as it takes too much time in my area. I just called the Tech Support folks and they kindly walked me through the adjustments, and without charge. This baler also works very well with the smaller pto hp tractors. Mine is a 62 pto hp.

I just bought a brand new one with net and the whole nine yards. We loved it the first time we used it. The only thing I was trying to do over the edge net but never could get it to work just right. Wouldnt cover the edge. (prob something not set right) Other than that we are very pleased

papple":13pgpt09 said:
I just bought a brand new one with net and the whole nine yards. We loved it the first time we used it. The only thing I was trying to do over the edge net but never could get it to work just right. Wouldnt cover the edge. (prob something not set right) Other than that we are very pleased

Mine doesn't do over the edge net either but I never worried about it. Call Daryl at Vermeer Tech Support (the number is in your manual I think). He might be able to help you out on that. Get the bale ramp on yours? It's great for rolling that bale away from the machine. Word of advice though; if the ejected bale stops rolling at the very end of the ramp, never back up the baler with the end of the ramp on the ground or it will break! Nice baler!

The factory guy told me they will not do over the edge. The wrap will go to the edge though. Overall, I really like the baler. Just wish my neighbors would quit asking me to bale theirs.

Does anyone know how a 5410 rebel baler works with wet hay for balage, I make about 500 bales of balage a year , I have a NH 638 hi-moisture baler and I'm not happy with it. someone told me they don't recomend a rebel for wet hay.

shorty":l0ymd9tj said:
Does anyone know how a 5410 rebel baler works with wet hay for balage, I make about 500 bales of balage a year , I have a NH 638 hi-moisture baler and I'm not happy with it. someone told me they don't recomend a rebel for wet hay.

I upgraded from a Rebel 5400 to a 504M(not the classic model) for balage. The 504M is a much heavier built baler than the Rebel. I don't think the Rebel is designed for the added weight and moisture levels required for balage.

By the way, the Rebel was an excellent dry hay baler. I ran it for 6 years and was always pleased with its operation. Its also very easy to maintain.

I got all of the problems fixed on my 5400 Rebel so I guess I will get by another year and then maybe another.
There are two crowding wedges in this baler one on either side just above the large roller. This really helped a lot. There is no reason for a baler not to bale if it is brought back to spec. Also I replaced the radial pin clutch with one with friction disks in it. The folks at Vermerr told me that the Radial Pin clutch was set to slip at 735 foot lbs. I think it would slip at a lower figure than that.Last year we broke the pto gears because of the radial pin clutch kept slipping. When it slips then there is a lot of high speed hammering on the drive train of the baler and the tractor. The new clutch was set at 735 foot lbs also and has worked super well.

hurleyjd":3jml2d5c said:
I got all of the problems fixed on my 5400 Rebel so I guess I will get by another year and then maybe another.
There are two crowding wedges in this baler one on either side just above the large roller. This really helped a lot. There is no reason for a baler not to bale if it is brought back to spec. Also I replaced the radial pin clutch with one with friction disks in it. The folks at Vermerr told me that the Radial Pin clutch was set to slip at 735 foot lbs. I think it would slip at a lower figure than that.Last year we broke the pto gears because of the radial pin clutch kept slipping. When it slips then there is a lot of high speed hammering on the drive train of the baler and the tractor. The new clutch was set at 735 foot lbs also and has worked super well.
We sell the 1200 nm clutches, 885 ft. lbs because many of our customers are baling haylage with their Rebel balers. NEVER grease the Radial Pin clutches. Greasing these clutches will cause them to fail.

The 5400 Rebel is a tough baler weighing in at 3900+ Lbs and the 5410 Rebel weighs 4700 Lbs. Anyone that says these Rebel balers are light duty just does not know what they are talking about. All the drive rollers have 1 1/2" shafts and bearings. Just look at the 5x4- 458 Standard John Deere 3750 Lbs and Hesston/AGCO 5x4 balers 3720 Lbs. Vermeer is where the beef is! Those other off color balers are not as heavy as the older 5400 rebel engineered 10 years ago. We have plenty of customers putting 5000+ bales a year on their 5400 Rebel balers. We have sold over 700 new Rebel 5400 & 5500 balers. Do not worry about the standard Vermeer Rebel balers they will bale haylage all day long again and again for many years. Yes the M series baler are even made heavier than the Rebel balers but the standard Rebel is no light weight.
The Hay DR

I bought the 5410 baler. I offered $11000 the dealer countered with $12000. I told him I would buy it. I will have a 5400 Rebel for sale in good shape for $7500. Hope everything works out on this, you never know until it is in your possession and running.

I am looking to trade for a newer 4 X 5 roller, have a M & W 4500 now. Rolled 1400 rolls last year hope to do more this year. Have looked at J.D., N. H., & Vermeer, have a good trade on a Rebel 5410.
Is there anything special to look at as far as problems on a used one. I am selling hay so a pretty roll will sell better. Any help is welcomed & Thanks in Advance

Regarding the Rebel 5410, just make sure the top, front brace has been installed. Not long after initial production, there were a lot of complaints about the net wrap not cutting cleanly or not at all. The bales were not consistent either. Vermeer came up with a fix for this and paid for it through the dealers. But not all dealers got the recall message. Vermeer tech support is excellent. Just call them with the serial number and they can tell you if the fix was performed on that baler. Mine works very well now.

I do like the JD's that apply net wrap all the way to the bale shoulder.

James T":376az67n said:
Regarding the Rebel 5410, just make sure the top, front brace has been installed. Not long after initial production, there were a lot of complaints about the net wrap not cutting cleanly or not at all. The bales were not consistent either. Vermeer came up with a fix for this and paid for it through the dealers. But not all dealers got the recall message. Vermeer tech support is excellent. Just call them with the serial number and they can tell you if the fix was performed on that baler. Mine works very well now.

The Over the edge Net wrap is made for JD by Tama. http://www.ambraco.com/BaleNetwrap/TamaNet_EdegToEdgeWithTamaTech_Netwrap.php

The Vermeer Rebel 5410 & 5420 is designed to use every net wrap currently on the market. Over the edge works fine in any of the 5410 balers.

ironpeddler":1ts5lq4n said:
James T":1ts5lq4n said:

The Over the edge Net wrap is made for JD by Tama. http://www.ambraco.com/BaleNetwrap/TamaNet_EdegToEdgeWithTamaTech_Netwrap.php

The Vermeer Rebel 5410 & 5420 is designed to use every net wrap currently on the market. Over the edge works fine in any of the 5410 balers.

That's good to know, IP!!! It's even better knowing your still around. Thanks for the input!

Latest posts