505 super I baler

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
went and looked at a 505 super I and everything looks to be in good shape mostly new chains and sprokets and a few new bearings, the belts look good but had the alligator lacing on them. he had it hooked to the tractor so i could hear it run and it sounded loud running, he said its because of the alligator lacing hitting the rollers. also it had a square starter roller, most i have seen is spiral shaped what is the difference? he said the laceings where hitting the square shaft and making alittle noise but would go away when hay is started. do the square starter rollers work ok? he has been a vermeer dealer for 25-30 yrs and seemed to know what he was talking about and honest.

I got one new in 1989 and it has 18k+ bales through it. It still has the original belts, replaced one chain, 5 bearings I think, broke one axle spindle and that is bout it. It has the square starting roller and the only problem you will have is if you try to start a bale and it is wet it may wrap around the square roller, usually bout once a season this would happen to me. The most important thing is to have good teeth and the angle adjusted right. A couple years ago I got a 505M and haven't used it much since. Here is a picture of it as it has always been shed kept, waxed regularly and looks almost like new still.

0000069m.jpg