504r signature reviews?

Help Support CattleToday:

MCFD120

Reaction score
Good afternoon everybody we've been looking at a new roller its a Vermeer 504r signature. Anybody running one? If so whats your thoughts?

I would like to know also. My neighbor has one who runs the local stock market and I ask him about his. He really liked it and was trouble free until he broke a belt. The belt fix would catch on the netwrap and cause some problems until the local dealer took a belt out of a new one and replaced his. Mechanically they are designed a lot like a John Deere, with a similar baling chamber. They are harder to pull than the Vermeer designs before them that formed the bale on the big roller in the bottom. I have seen bales out of his with the netwrap and they are about as perfect as you can get.

I have put 700 bales through mine. It is a good baler but not perfect. It eats hay very well and is very hard to plug, but the netwrap is finicky. It misses about 1 in every 50 bales completely, and wads the wrap up in the middle on about twice that often. The twine has been flawless. But it did go down half way through first cutting and has been in the shop waiting on parts for a few weeks. The dealer gave me a 504 classic demo to finish up with.

I have put 700 bales through mine. It is a good baler but not perfect. It eats hay very well and is very hard to plug, but the netwrap is finicky. It misses about 1 in every 50 bales completely, and wads the wrap up in the middle on about twice that often. The twine has been flawless. But it did go down half way through first cutting and has been in the shop waiting on parts for a few weeks. The dealer gave me a 504 classic demo to finish up with.
What happened to the baler?

Good afternoon everybody we've been looking at a new roller its a Vermeer 504r signature. Anybody running one? If so whats your thoughts?
I have one 1500 rolls through it. It makes a great bale. I use net wrap all I can, in fact I still have twine in it I put in day I got it. this roller replaced a 504 Super I. I take it to dealer every fall and he has done updates to it. I did 190 rolls on two Farms about two miles apart Monday from 11:00 to 7:00.

I replaced my NH644 with one and actually kept the NH for 3 years just in case I needed it. Finally sold NH this spring as I have never pulled it out of shed. I have had very little issues and that is usually my fault trying to put some wet material in it. Son-in-Law was putting a roll through every 2.5 minutes this spring. But that was in a field that averaged over 5 rolls an acre, hay moisture was about as good as it gets, and windrows straight and full.

Would definitely purchase again. Have ~1500 rolls through with only grease, cleaning, and oiling. I have never used the twine, just the net wrap. I like the 53" net wrap.

I replaced my NH644 with one and actually kept the NH for 3 years just in case I needed it. Finally sold NH this spring as I have never pulled it out of shed. I have had very little issues and that is usually my fault trying to put some wet material in it. Son-in-Law was putting a roll through every 2.5 minutes this spring. But that was in a field that averaged over 5 rolls an acre, hay moisture was about as good as it gets, and windrows straight and full.

Would definitely purchase again. Have ~1500 rolls through with only grease, cleaning, and oiling. I have never used the twine, just the net wrap. I like the 53" net wrap.
I use the 53" net wrap. I haul on a inline trailer and wrap stays on sliding bales up the trailer.

I can't tell you nothing about the 504RSignture. But if you haven't bought it yet.

I can tell you this much I would think it would be a good baler. I got the 504RPremium silage baler. Not had it long, bought it new. Have baled a thousand bales so far and hasn't missed a bale. You can use either twine or net. Because it is a silage baler, the hay is chopped up for the most part. Because of that and that i use the heavy metal ring feeders. There is little if any waste of hay.

Wet or green hay won't slow it down. Because of the wide mouth and roller at front of the pick up. It will run through heavy wind rows.

It's been well worth the money for me. Would highly recommend it. The only thing it is a 4x5 baler but, puts up a heavier bale than most 4x5,s. Haven't weighed one to see just how heavy a bale it makes.

But, we ran two Vermeer balers on a field. One guy moving them off the feild. I saw this happen but he was telling the story while we took a beer thirty break after finishing the field.

He said he had to quit picking up the bales with his back hay fork because they weighed more and was causing his front end to come off the ground when he let the clutch out.

I am pretty sure the 504RP brochure says it puts out a 1000 lb bale. Of course there are alot that factors into bale weight that can cause bale weight to vary from time to time.

I can't tell you nothing about the 504RSignture. But if you haven't bought it yet.

I can tell you this much I would think it would be a good baler. I got the 504RPremium silage baler. Not had it long, bought it new. Have baled a thousand bales so far and hasn't missed a bale. You can use either twine or net. Because it is a silage baler, the hay is chopped up for the most part. Because of that and that i use the heavy metal ring feeders. There is little if any waste of hay.

Wet or green hay won't slow it down. Because of the wide mouth and roller at front of the pick up. It will run through heavy wind rows.

It's been well worth the money for me. Would highly recommend it. The only thing it is a 4x5 baler but, puts up a heavier bale than most 4x5,s. Haven't weighed one to see just how heavy a bale it makes.

But, we ran two Vermeer balers on a field. One guy moving them off the feild. I saw this happen but he was telling the story while we took a beer thirty break after finishing the field.

He said he had to quit picking up the bales with his back hay fork because they weighed more and was causing his front end to come off the ground when he let the clutch out.

I am pretty sure the 504RP brochure says it puts out a 1000 lb bale. Of course there are alot that factors into bale weight that can cause bale weight to vary from time to time.
Another good feature of the 504RP is that it has grease bunks inside both doors. 5 on each side. I like it because not only is it quick and easy to grease most of the baler. But helps to avoid missing a bearing, possibly causing a dry bearing fire.

Really easy loading net wrap. I really need to bale some twine through it just so that i know how and too. There is things i like and dislike about both net wrap and twine.

So i can see in the future price difference is going to make my mind up on which I will use. That along wether I stack it in the barn or outside. Net wrap to me seems to protect hay from the elements a little better. But is also more pain cutting off than twine after it has been coveref in snow and ice during feeding.

I have weighed the bales out of my signature. In 16% mosture hay they average 875 lbs. I buy about a third of my hay and weigh a few from each person I buy from every year. I have saw 4x5 bales weighed as little as 500 lbs. Most are around 700 lbs. Very few bales weigh as much as people think with dry grass hay.

I ran around 1200 through my 504R Signature baler.
This is it's second season. I like the net wrap the best but it is nice to have the option of either. I would definitely buy another one .

We've got a 604 Pro.

Our 5x4 dry chopped bales come in around 1000-1200lbs. 4x4 silage are around a ton.

I do know that running the same fields, the 604 would make a lot less bales than the Rancher 6650 it replaced, even though they're smaller. It packs a lot more in a bale.

I have weighed the bales out of my signature. In 16% mosture hay they average 875 lbs. I buy about a third of my hay and weigh a few from each person I buy from every year. I have saw 4x5 bales weighed as little as 500 lbs. Most are around 700 lbs. Very few bales weigh as much as people think with dry grass hay.
How are you weighing them ? Truck scales, cattle scales ?

Latest posts