50 mm Objective ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We hunt a lot of field edges where most of the trophy shooting is the last 10 minutes. Using a 3x9 with a 30mm objective I can see the deer outline, but not details, 30 minutes after sunset. How much benefit would I see trading up to a 50 mm Leopold objective?

Problem with a 50 mm can be the need for high rings for the objective lens to clear the barrel. Most 42 mm will mount with standard rings and will help the low light visibility

I run a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50 with the 30mm tube. It is great in low light conditions. I can see thru the scope when I cant see with my eyes. I use it to shoot hogs regularly late in the evening or even in the moonlight.

There are plenty of scope mount options out there so don't worry about that unless its some kind of odd ball gun.

The 50mm objective will help as well as stepping up to the VX3. Both up-grades will gather light better.

dun":39yv6g9m said:
Problem with a 50 mm can be the need for high rings for the objective lens to clear the barrel. Most 42 mm will mount with standard rings and will help the low light visibility

I did not see 42mm Leopolds. Is there an alternative you would recommend for low light?

Stocker Steve":rsjfuunh said:
dun":rsjfuunh said:

I did not see 42mm Leopolds. Is there an alternative you would recommend for low light?
I ahven;lt kept up with the newer scopes. I ahve Nikon and Burris on everything. The kikons are on rifles and the BUrris are on the Contenders.

3x9x50 Leoupold and I have killed em when you need a flashlight to walk to them. :cowboy:
Don't know what brand you hunt with now. I also have a Redfield that is the same size scope and was probably $100 cheaper. It will bring them out too. Biggest deer I have ever taken was on opening morning with that. Ran out on some some bean stubble. Was a good while til daylight but he was laying there when the sun came up. Around here they call that Leouplod light. Long and short it will make a big difference in your hunt.

Bigger objective won't help nearly as much as a bigger tube will. Both together will make twilight look like daylight.

Aren't most, maybe all of the Leopold VX 3, 4 and above 30mm tube? The best I have is a VX4 TACTICAL in 8.5x25x50. Need a better rifleft to put it on. Have a couple of VX 3 and I really like them too.

Personally I would always upgrade the level of scope before the magnification or tube size... probably even the objective size... especially if your are shooting a older leupold or like a VX1. Meaning if you have a VX1 go to a VX2... the quality of glass makes probably makes the most difference.

I just mounted a Leupold VX2 3-9x50, 1" on a gun yesterday. Sighted it in today. IMO that is a great bang for the buck scope (around $475). I have several of them on guns. It is a definite upgrade over the VX1 and good enough to not spend the money on the VX3 for most of my guns. Its a great low light scope IMO.

Every thing you ready says a 30mm tube will not help in low light.

In my experience any thing over about 8X is also a waste in low light. I use my 14X for sighting in, target shooting, and the occasional coyote in the middle of the day. Most all my shots at animals are low light at hogs and deer on around 8x. On my 14x Leupold scope the dial pointing straight up is 8x. Its easy to set even in the pitch black dark.

I have a Bushnel 3200 50mm 4-16x scope on my 7mm.. The specific purpose of that rifle is long range shots at bears.. which always come at dusk... I haven't really used it yet but it is nice and clear when I'm looking through it..

It's all about the looks anyhow, rifle just looks better with a 50mm objective scope :p

Latest posts