50/50 corn gluten and soy hulls

Help Support CattleToday:

PaMike

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a mix from my mill of 50/50 soy hulls and corn gluten feed. Can anyone give me an idea of how much limestone to have them add per ton, and how much mineral. I talked to the mill, and they wont really make any recommendations, they just mix what I tell them. I will be using the feed to supplement Holstein steers that have free choice hay. I didnt get a forage test yet on the hay, but I need to get some feed since I am running out of my old stuff and winter is fast approaching. I never got feed custom mixed before so I dont even have a ballpark idea.
Thanks

PaMike":vwi7xcl1 said:
I am interested in getting a mix from my mill of 50/50 soy hulls and corn gluten feed. Can anyone give me an idea of how much limestone to have them add per ton, and how much mineral. I talked to the mill, and they wont really make any recommendations, they just mix what I tell them. I will be using the feed to supplement Holstein steers that have free choice hay. I didnt get a forage test yet on the hay, but I need to get some feed since I am running out of my old stuff and winter is fast approaching. I never got feed custom mixed before so I dont even have a ballpark idea.
Thanks

Make it simple.
Why don't you just feed a good free choice mineral and let them get all they need by themselves? It would also depend on how much you will be feeding them to add the mineral to the mix.

By the way, I am supplementing my cows with gluten/syhull pellets now and the seem to like it.

Ditto on leaving the minerals out free choice.
You didn't give near enough information to be able to tell you how much to put in your feed.

33lbs of limestone/ TON
should get your ca:phos ratio close

Values of individual by products vary - so its an educated estimate .I didn't reset my ration calculator with national averages- I just used mine.

Our standard mix is 40% CG, 35% soyhull pellet 20% cracked corn and 10 lbs per ton of each lime, dical and salt. CG is high in phosphorus so the lime and dical is to add calcium

dun

Thanks guys. I will just get the 50/50 mix with the limestone, and leave the minerals out. Now to see what the mill can come up with price wise...

I talked to the mill, and they only carry corn gluten meal, but they do have distillers grain. They said it has similar protein to corn gluten feed. Should my limestone numbers be adjusted for this?
Thanks

Latest posts