5 legged cow

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
Anyone ever see one like this? It might be a chop job.
S6300057.jpg

Looks like it needs to see the hoof trimmer, those toes are getting awfully long.

My husband's ex father-in-law had a two headed calf born on his place last winter. It was in the local papers. It lived for about five days before it finally died. Freaky looking.

We had a calf born with two legs attached to her back on either side. Obviously it was twins that fused together.

I can't remember if we had them surgically removed or if they died and fell off on their own. I think it would be very odd for an adult animal to still have the leg attached and still have the hooves growing, but I do not know if it would be impossible.

For some reason, I think I remember hearing of a guy somewhere up north that kind of collected cattle of this nature. Cows with extra legs or some other oddity. If I remember correctly, most of the animals he had were dairy, and the suspected cause of the oddities was intense inbreeding. Its been a good while since hearing/reading about it though.

Interesting looking animal, nonetheless.

Ryan

Why, Bez?

The way I figure it, if that extra leg doesnt interfere with her eating, breeding, calving and raising the calf, then I dont care if she's ugly as sin or looks like she should be in the circus.

Different matter entirely if it prevents her doing her job.

Keren":cy7bg770 said:
Why, Bez?

The way I figure it, if that extra leg doesnt interfere with her eating, breeding, calving and raising the calf, then I dont care if she's ugly as sin or looks like she should be in the circus.

Different matter entirely if it prevents her doing her job.

It is an abberation and should not be propogated

I breed for at least a little conformity - and cull what does not fit the herd.

This is a genetic trait that should be destroyed.

Most folks I know would not be interested in buying my beef if they saw something like that on my place.

I agree with them.

Bez+

Just think a few years ago when I wore a bigger buckle and a smaller belt freaks like that were on display on the carney at the fair. Kids coughed up four bits to see them along with the bearded fat lady with all the tattoos.
I'd see if the vet school wanted it...if not it would be under ground in short order.
Just my two bits worth...asked for or not. DMc

On that show "Ripley's Beliver it or not" a guy collected these cattle with abnormalities like this...I belive he had about 5 or 6 cows with extra legs - many where beef cows though not dairy as stated before but we could be thinking of 2 different guys

I've never seen one in real life, but I have seen a picture of a heifer from the UK that had one out of each side. We've never had any "freak" calves, just one dwarf. But we did have a two headed piglet once...he lived for a whole day which was surprising since its brain was exposed :? It was weiiiird.

Keren, I think there are some genetic mutations are inheritable but in the case of two twins fusing together I doubt it is something that would be passed from generations on, it was more likely the case of the embryo not being sound to begin with.

It happens in humans as often as it does in animals yet we have the benefit of ultra sounds in this case and then options before the fetus is fully developed, it would not be cost effective in the agriculture business.

Latest posts