5.9 Cummins vs 6.7 Cummins

Help Support CattleToday:

agcntry

Reaction score
Looking at trucks and found a low mileage 05 with the 5.9 and can buy a new 08 with the 6.7 and can buy it for 8 grand more. Which is the better deal. I know the 6.7 has all the emmision crap on it.

The 6.7L has alot of torque, but they are having problems with carbon plugging all of the emissions crap. Dodge says that they took care of the problem with a ecm update. They also blame the customers because most diesel owners let them idle alot and that is also causing some of the problem. As for me I own a 02 5.9L.

thats a no brainer id buy the 5.9 cummins.because if the new 6.7 is clogging up the emission system.you dont need the headache or want to spend time in the shop.

Another thing I thought of is the 5.9 has a 4spd auto vs the 6spd with the 6.7. I'm leaning towards the 5.9, but does the 2 extra gears make that much difference?

agcntry":12y8f5mt said:
Another thing I thought of is the 5.9 has a 4spd auto vs the 6spd with the 6.7. I'm leaning towards the 5.9, but does the 2 extra gears make that much difference?
The Aisin 6 speed is a lot better trans than the 4sp auto in the 05 from all I have heard
and if you can buy the new trk for $8k more you need to weigh the choices about warranty and also the mileage on the 05 plus you would have 3 yrs depreciation on the 05 over the 08 being new

I beleive the 5.9 is a better engine mainly because they haven't got the bugs worked out of the 6.7

JMO

I have one of the first 6.7's with a six speed,so far it's been a great motor and trans.I don't think much of the cab.The new trucks have so much crap on them now ,my plan is to just keep it as nice as I can and get a new one every 4 or 5 years.

The Aisin 6 speed is definitely a strong automatic, however there was nothing really wrong with the old 4 speed, as long as you didn't tow in OD and got the fluids changed regularly.

As for issues, one of the biggest issues is people idling without a high idler. At idle, even the 5.9 would clog the cat eventually, so if you idle alot, get a high idler. I wouldn't be remotely scared of the 6.7. There are tens of thousands of them out there right now with nary an issue, despite what you read on internet forums. Pick the truck you like and run with it. Either one will be fine.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to go with 6.7. Thats a fair bit newer truck for only 8Gs.

Rod

Latest posts