4H project?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Not for myself -- I'm too old for that now, LOL. I'm just keeping one eye open for a possible project for my younger brother. He hasn't completely decided yet if he wants to raise a calf, so this is just "possible calf #1". :p

What do you think of him? Red Angus with some Gelbvieh (sp?) thrown in the mix.

ranch10-11-2008035.jpg

ranch10-11-2008029.jpg

2nd from right
ranch10-11-2008026.jpg

ranch10-11-2008033.jpg

I think he's around 500lbs and between 5-7 months of age, raised on milk and rangeland. The herd he's from ranges from a FS-3 to a FS-5 and around 1100-1350lbs. I'm looking for a calf that will finish right around 1350-1380lbs (4H judge's preference/weight of Grand Champion calf for last few years). Opinions on this calf?

Hey MM,

he's decent. Long bodied, he's very green but shows natural muscle expression, particularly from the rear. Good long rump (hip to pin). He could feed out alright.

Sorry about this but I work in kgs.

He is 500 lbs now = 227.25 kg.

You want him 1350 - 1380 lbs at the show = 613.64 - 627.27 kg

If you have him at 620.45 kg on show day that puts you right in the middle of that range, giving you a bit of room to play if he grows out better than expected, or if he loses a lot of weight during transport.

Taking into account a 1.5kg/day growth rate (I have had some do better, some do worse) you are looking at 262 days on feed to get to that weight. Does this add up with the show?

Hopefully I did the math right.

Anyway, I dont mind him at all. Interesting to see how he grows out.

i like the calf. he's probably goign to be your "old Sytle" calf. long and tall.but he's has clean lines and a pretty good top on him. he looks to have good hair and a good lower third.

but in the picture of him form the rear im not sure if one of the other calves might have pushed him so he's standing this way but i'd watch that back left hock it looks like it might start to turn in and that will cause some major movement problems.

He's all right. Would make a good calf to feed out. Little worried about his top line, gets a little weak behind that shoulder. He's put together, O.K. though and would make a fun project.

He looks like he would make a fine project, He looks a little rung-out and scared, I bet he looks allot better after he gets setled in his new home and you get him on feed.
If they decide to use him for a project I would get him started on feed ASAP, work him up slowely to 2.5 to 3 percent of his body weight.
Would like to see a picture of him after a month or so on feed.

Latest posts