4H classes - looking for input

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
So the 4H extension agent in my hometown county asked me about talking to one of the beef 4H clubs next month... and I'd like some thoughts from those of you who have/had kids in beef 4H or FFA. The kids are 9-12 (pre FFA), parents may or may not be present. Probably ranch/cow-calf backgrounds but minimal previous involvement and 1st or 2nd year in 4H. If it's anything like when I went through 4H, the parents do most of the work at that age.

If you had a vet come for 30 minutes to spend time with the 4H kids, what topic would you want discussed?

The extension agent suggested treating bloat and nutrition... which I guess I could do... but since nutrition makes up maybe 2% of everything I've learned over the years it's not the most effective use of 30 minutes, to be honest. I'd rather do something health related. Hands-on activities would be good; I can use a classroom (internet/pictures/powerpoint?) or outside (live calf?). I don't want to talk over the kids' heads but would like to give parents something to think about if they're present.

We'd be about 60 days from the fair.

I found this KSU beef 4H leader's manual:
http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/historicpublica ... s/s100.pdf

Skip to page 45 of the pdf - it has a list of lesson plans by concept. Anything there catch anyone's eye as something they'd really like their kid to learn?

Thanks!

Wow, Claire -- they're making use of you right away! :) I never showed cattle as a kid -- never owned a beef until well after I was eligible for AARP. I think they should have Sr. Citizen 4-H programs. For 4-H and FFA kids likely raising a project steer, I'd think nutrition and finishing would be a pretty major topic, as well as vaccination and worming protocals. Not vet-related but something thrown in about good sportsmanship and courtesy to other club members and/or exhibitors is always worth a lick.

Looking at that outline, the Health and Nutrition topics look good, if you can gear to that age. First couple topics in the Misc. section. That would be a bunch to fit into 30 minutes, but pretty sure if they get you once, they'll want you again!

As a former county agent, I would use your expertise to talk to the kids on how to look for signs of sickness in animals and how to properly administer injections. The last part could include reading labels, injection placement (subQ, intramuscular, intravenous), where to administer following BQA protocol and some hands on training on how to fill a syringe and administering a shot with dye into a banana.

Thanks!

Kathie LOL. I was in 4H for a number of years, and I've offered a few times to talk to this club, it just hasn't worked out (since my school breaks tend to coincide with their school breaks...). Looks like it might work for all involved this time.

Milkmaid, our new local large animal Vets (from WSU, go cougs!) have given a couple classes on local mineral needs (low selenium area), a lambing and kidding class. They were for the public, but were very helpful.

Hit them with some basic nutrition, mineral and general vaccination stuff and then just field some questions
from the kids and parents. It will make you a popular gal! My :2cents:

Good luck, ENJOY

Its all good. Think I'd go over little things they can do to fix cattle. More common things. Calf disjointed leg splint or things like that. You know common ailments better than any of us.

Their brains are little sponges at that age. You get them interested, you can fill the sponge a little. My youngest grandson would love to be there listening.

Correct procedures/withdrawls. Visuals of damaged end product from incorrect procedures. Net costs of incorrect procedures to the industry. Show them how to take a temperature, explain temp variance and explain how sensitive the lungs are time sensitive to damamge Talk about when to treat yourself and when to call in a vet. Show them how to treat bloat. Handout on common medications(and their use) and withdrawl times.
Splinting a leg always makes kids happy. Bring a goat in and let them go to it.

Leave nutrition alone- there are already pros at show feeding out there.