479 NH Haybine Trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazyacre

Reaction score
Having a problem shearing the drive bolt that holds the cutter bar to the wobble box. I have checked everything I know to check and have found no bearings out. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I haven't used a haybine in years but here's a couple of thoughts. Can you move the bar by hand fairly easily? Are all of the guards straight, any sections bent? Any chance you may have bent the cutterhead where the guards bolt on? Hit any groundhog holes, etc? I would take a shot in the dark and say your problems are related to excessive resistance from the cutterbar and not the gearbox. When the gearbox is disconnected from the bar, does it turn freely? Just some thoughts.

cfpinz

Not familiar at all with your haybine, had a sicklebar mower to the same thing, a long time ago. Bar was installed incorrectly and the timing of stroke and bar posistion was off.

I have the same unit. Although I've never had that problem, I would bet these guys a correct in saying that it is probably cutter bar resistance.
Hope you figure it out.

I have a 477....same setup as your 479 just not as wide.

I would loosen the drive belt to the wobble box and then unhook your wobble box from the bar........then check everything for resistance or a bad bearing in the wobble box.

I believe, like the others posted already, you've probably got a problem with interference on your cutter bar. Check your teeth and the guards and stuff

I agree with saltydawg. We run the same model and the problem for us with regards to the wobble box is usually resistance or bearings.

Agree with all ideas mentioned above. On a side note, keep an eye on the wobble box oil and check it often for leaks. We had a seal go out on our 477 and trashed the wobble box. NH was able to rebuild it, but would'nt not guarantee the work. Very expensive to fix and or replace.

Latest posts