479 bales

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":y09qhblz said:
Is it true that the best litter comes from the egg houses?

Yes. They feed a high calcium diet to make the eggshells strong.

MikeC":143mhd4u said:
Jogeephus":143mhd4u said:
Is it true that the best litter comes from the egg houses?

Yes. They feed a high calcium diet to make the eggshells strong.

Hen litter is higher in calcium, but it is much lower in N,P,and K then broiler litter.

J&T Farm,

This guy i buy my litter from cleans out his houses every batch or every other batch something like that. I bet your litter is alot better quality than what i am getting.

I wish i had access to that quality of litter. That is probably the difference in out feilds and to you may have a better type of soil than i do. But i had a pond built in the middle of this feild last summer and like yours the top soil was pretty deep. It at one time had been used for row crops.

msscamp, i dont think i am using to much litter mainly due to the soil sample results. The phosphrus levels is still low. The extension agent told me that high phosphrus levels come from using large quanitys of litter over the years. That is one reason they are putting restrictions on the amounts of litter you can use on hay feilds here in North West Arkansas.

I have seen and have had hay feilds that got burned back from using chicken litter. Not necessilary because of using to much of it but because of it being put out in hot weather and not getting any rain for a while. But that could happen with commerical fertilizer to.

But as far a putting out to much litter myself i would not worry to much about that happening. As long as it got plenty of rain not long after putting it out.