479 bales

Help Support CattleToday:

Moocow11

Reaction score
we just got finished baling 120 acres of alflafa and we got 479 round bales off of the field. and now we we get to fill up the feed yard

Just finished baling 17 ac. of yucci clover and coastal that was heavily fertilized and about a month past when it should have been cut due to rain and availability of customer baler. 92 5X4 round bales; approx. 5.4 bales/ac. I was stunned.

Moocow11":1yaqureg said:
we just got finished baling 120 acres of alflafa and we got 479 round bales off of the field. and now we we get to fill up the feed yard
If your getting that much per acre, your really lucky. Where I live hay is being cut ankle high and your lucky to get 5 small square bales per acre.

We baled a neighbors small 6 acre patch of brome with a little alfalfa in it and got 220 small bales. Now that's awesome. We put some good fertilizer on our little 4 acre patch of brome and it got 170 small bales. A lot better than last year! Plan on seeding and fertilizing that small patch and then both pastures next year.

Rolled up 10 acres of Vaughn Bermuda that was fertilized heavy almost 6 weeks ago. Should have been ready 2 weeks ago. Had less than 2 in. of rain since mid May, Still made 50 4x5 rolls.Started pouring while rolling the last roll rained 1.25 in. Thats the most this field has had at one time since March.It has been very dry here since last fall.

If I'm right, our first cutting consisted of about 50-60 acres.

Got over 190 bales off that.

We have been lucky this year we baled a 15 acre field its mostly bermuda and it made 120 4x5 round bales. after 2 really dry years its nice to have lots of hay. That is always our best field the others average about 4 bales per acre.

J&T Farm

I am impressed that is 8 bales to the acre. I guess all of that came off of one cutting ? I am located just West of you about 50 miles or so and i cut a 15 acre feild of hay and it made 58 4 x 5 bales off of the first cutting. Not quite half of what your feild made. What is your secret ? How did you get that 15 acres to produce so much hay ?

The secret is 2 ton of chicken litter to the acre and lots of rain. And our farm has had chicken houses on it for 30 years. It was from our second cutting.

J&T Farm,

How many tons of litter is in one big spreader truck ? I had 10 loads put out on my feild. Did you get 120 4 x 5 bales off of one cutting alone or was that from the 1 st and 2 nd cuttings ?

I put 180 lbs of nitrate to the acre after my first cutting and am fixing to cut it for the second time in the next few days. I think it is going to produce about the same as the last cutting.

J&T Farm

I had it put out on just about 15 acres. I was not there when they put it out but that was what i paid for. And we had rain just about every day and lots of it. It makes me kind of wonder now if they put out all 10 loads ?

From reading some of your post i take it that you are located near Conway ? I am in Ozark not to far from there. This feild is mostly bemuda grass with some dallas & crab grass in it. I keep it clean (Sprayed) and limed it a couple years ago. The ph is running about 5.8 on it.

It has good soil, i wish i could get it producing like your feild is. I thought i would have to go with some type of hybrid grass to get it producing better than what it is now.

I would guess my bales are averaging 850 lbs maybe 900 lbs. Is that about what yours average ?

well if they put 60 ton on 15 acres that litter should have been an inch deep! Yeah ours weigh about 850lbs. 3 years ago we had a really good year and that same field made 160. It is just a really good field. We live in Van Buren County. About 30 miles north of conway. Besides just the fertilizer if you put litter every year it will build your soil up too. 2 ton is the most we put and it seems like alot on the ground. You will still see the effects of the litter next year if you don't even put anymore. I bet your 2nd cutting will be more our first cutting was only 80 bales.

I have been putting litter out on all of my feilds for the last 4 years now. I have been there in the past when they littered this feild and watched( counted the loads ) and the spreader truck is about as big of a spreader truck that you see. A little bigger than some of the other spreader trucks that i have seen.

But it does not no where leave a inch of cover on the feild. But 10 loads does fairly cover the feild. The extenison agent told me that the quality of litter can very alot on litter. Maybe the litter i am getting is not cake or of very good quality ?

I only put litter out once a year usually in the Spring. I dont know why mine did not produce very well. But i have been told that a load of litter weighs from 4 to 6 tons also. But the extension agent said that has alot of varibles to that can determine the weight of a load of litter.

I don't mean to butt in on your conversation, but do you suppose you might be putting too much litter out, Stepper? We've used chicken manure on our wheat fields in the past, and I know the high nitrogen content in it has a tendency to burn. Perhaps that might be the problem?

I have been hauling litter part time for a couple of months now and I can definitely tell a difference in the quality, you may not be getting much more than shavings,rice hulls etc. Around here most soil samples are calling for 3ton/acre avg, my spreader truck loads are 10-12ton. Just got done spreading 1000 ton in 2 days, boy was that miserable.

We only clean our houses out 1 time a year and some people clean out more offen, the litter may not be as strong as ours. You may be paying for more hulls and shavings than litter. We had a pond dug in this field last year and the top soil was 2 feet deep. We kinda live in a valley and the soil is just naturally good, that may be some of the difference. We have a neighbor that has no topsoil but he bought litter this spring and it doubled his hay. but he still only gets about 3 bale to the acre. But I bet you will be suprised this time it should make alot more.