45 acp vs 45 colt

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I just bought a new toy, it's a revolver that takes 45 cal. Is there a problem with shooting 45 auto (acp) out of it or do I need to stick to 45 cal? If there is a problem with acp.... please educate me to why.

Thanks,
Alan

Congrats on getting a new serious toy! The .45 packs a good punch even though it is slower than some others.

The .45 Colt is basically a revolver handgun. Its also used in the "Taurus Judge" which takes either the .45 colt or a .410 shotgun shell.

The .45 ACP is a semi-automatic cartridge.

The case is different for each one. The .45 Colt will not eject properly (or load properly) in the .45 ACP SA handgun.

Do not interchange the cartridges.

Bill

$% Colt headspaces on the rim ACP on the caese mouth. If it's a single action you usually scrounge around and find a cyolnder for ACPs that will work but it will take professioanl fitting. If douple action you may ne able to have the rear of the sylinf=der machined to accept full moon clips.

Okay Bill it is your fault and my wife is really p!ssed at you.... :D

Running Arrow Bill":3d48e1a2 said:
My wife recently bought the Taurus "Judge"...a real woman's cannon...right? Dual chambered for the .410 and the .45 Long Colt.

The "Judge" does kick a touch...about 3X what my .40 Baretta does... (At least my wife didn't want a .457 !)

Now...

Good luck on finding any .45 Long Colt ammo!! She settled on #4 shot on the .410 as well as some 000 buckshot (3 pellets) as substitute for .45 until the Long Colt becomes available.

At least I have a stock of my .40 S&W hollow points (as well as blunt nose practice rounds), and my 20 Ga with both birdshot and some buckshot.

I went out a bought a "Judge", It fires the 2 1\2 410's as well as the 3" magnums 410's. I have some 45 acps but ??? I see by your reply on my question on the Gp100 post you use a "long colt (?). Can I have your phone number so my wife can say thanks... :lol: :lol:

Alan

It's impossible to use .45 colt in a .45 acp.

It is possible to use .45 acp in a .45 colt if you use half moon clips. A half moon will hold 3 of the .45 acp. Most people use half moon clips instead of full moon clips (which hold 6 .45 acp)

The 45 long colt has alot of punch to it, I like the 45 acp (military)I have a pr that has the same serial number, I think colt made 4 in the set to commemorate WW1 and the Marine Corps... I bought them cheap. from a old chap that said he had them since 75 or 76.. They show shoulder hoster wear, I figured thar a Marine Col. carried them in Nam..I can not see anoyne other than a Maine carring them, and Col. and above could carry their own weapons... Have shot them many many times..