$40 Seed

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
These seed and fertilizer prices have me looking for a more reasonable way to farm hay, thinking about selling my farm tools and plant permanent pastures.
Now the question is what to plant in the Tx Hill country ? Klein costal bluestem ?
Good luck

I'd go with klein or bluestem....A neighbor planted some ww Bdahl a few years back and is doing well. I planted some Klein last June. After being washed out with over 4 inches of rain just after planting, it's short on moisture until we got some regular rains beginning in May. What I have left is looking pretty good and has been grazed off once this Spring.

Seed costs, fuel, equipment repairs.....I'm long in the tooth with everything in general that involves planting annual forage crops and trying to go to permanent. Having trouble getting enough moisture when needed to even do that.

HAY MAKER":donyg3bw said:
Anyone got a general idea of Klein seed cost ? Are y'all broad casting and using a drag or drilling it ?
Good luck
Last year was $25 a pound, 2 lbs per acre. I used a small seed drill. Seed needs about 1/2 inch cover.

Latest posts